Last Revision: July 26, 2023
Program Deadline Requirements for Graduation Eligibility
Once you start upon your program at APUS, you will have a set deadline for completing your program. Your program deadline starts at the start date of the first course in your program which you attend past the first week of the course. This date is called your initial enrollment date. If you do not have your program conferred before the program deadline, we can issue you a letter of program completion; however, you will not actually earn the degree or certificate.
Each program has an established program length:
- Master's Degrees (except Nursing): 7 years
- MS in Nursing: 5 years
- Graduate Certificates: 3 years
If you are less than 6 months away from your program deadline, you will see a message to warn you of this when you try to register for your next course. You will be blocked from registration until you have met with your Academic Advisor to discuss your best options.
Your program deadline is not extended if you are on an approved Program Hold; you will have the same program deadline when you return from a Program Hold and may need to work with an Academic Advisor based if it is nearing or expired upon your return.
- Program Deadline Extensions: In some very special circumstances, you may request an extension of your program deadline. The Program Deadline Extension Request form is accessible through the ACADEMIC PLAN & FORMS drop down along the top of your ecampus, under the UNIVERSITY FORMS menu, ‘ALL Forms’ link. Be sure to submit the request prior to reaching your program deadline.
- You may only be granted an extension of up to 25% of your initial program length.
- If you are not able to meet conferral by your program deadline, even with an extension, you will need to enroll in a new program, and any courses you previously completed will count as transfer credit in your new program. These courses will be subject to the standard transfer credit limit, which will include all APUS courses previously completed as well as any previously transferred courses.
If you have any questions pertaining to program deadline extensions, please contact your Academic Advisor at [email protected].