Skip Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions | Tuition & Financing


Financial aid is funding intended to help students pay for their college education, including: tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and other education-related expenses. Various types of financial aid are available, so please review our options listed in the paying for school section.

You can also view "The Basics" video in our Financial Aid TV series.

Financial aid is intended to cover the cost of tuition, fees, books, etc., but only the tuition is paid directly to the university. Any funds that remain after tuition is paid are credited back to you in the form of a "financial aid credit balance refund", based on your credit balance selection. You are responsible for paying for fees when they are due (at course registration, for graduation, etc.), however, you can use your financial aid credit balance refund money to help cover the money you spent on fees.

Start Soon

If you plan to use financial aid, we recommend you start the aid process at least 5 weeks prior to your course start date. During this time, check your email frequently and please respond promptly to requests from our financial aid team asking for documentation such as tax information or transcripts.

While the majority of our programs are eligible for financial aid, these programs are NOT eligible:

  • Courses taken as audit (no credit earned)
  • Undergraduate courses for transfer to another institution
  • Associate of Arts (A.A.) and Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in General Studies
  • Our 3-course learning tracks

If you have questions regarding your financial aid status you may contact a financial aid advisor by calling 855-731-9218 (Mon – Fri 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET and Sat – Sun 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.) or by emailing

Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSASM) is the first step toward getting federal aid for college. The FAFSA is free and quick, and it gives you access to the largest source of financial aid to pay for college. (Note: to complete the form, you will need our school code: 038193-00 and location: West Virginia).

You can learn more by watching "Understanding the FASFA" and the FASFA tutorial videos in our Financial Aid TV series.

The university’s school code is 038193 and the location is West Virginia. This code is required to ensure the university receives your FAFSA information.

All of your registrations for your semester should be in place before your semester begins. This will ensure that you are packaged correctly and your enrollment status is reported correctly. Your enrollment status can affect the amount of your Pell Grant.

Federal aid funds are paid directly to the university to cover your tuition. Any remaining funds will be credited to you, based on your credit balance selection. We use BankMobile, a higher education financial services company to provide a faster, more convenient way to get those credit balance refunds to you. For more information about BankMobile, please view the BankMobile Disbursements page.

Financial aid is paid directly to the university to cover the cost of tuition. Any funds that remain after tuition is paid are credited back to you and may be used for any additional educational expenses incurred in pursuit of your college degree or certificate, including: university fees; housing expenses; school supplies; computer equipment purchase or rental; software; or, even dependent child care expenses.

The university provides 1098-T (IRS tuition statement) tax forms annually in January to students who had payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses from the previous taxable year on their student account. You may receive a 1098-T if you:

  • Have payments on your student account for eligible courses for academic credit and you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien.
  • Had payments for military or federal tuition assistance during for qualified tuition and related expenses for the previous tax year.
  • Experience changes in the current tax year for payments or grants for qualified tuition and related expenses for the previous tax year.