Last Revision: January 30, 2024
Undergraduate Petition for Graduate-Level Course
You may petition to take a graduate level course while enrolled in a Bachelor’s program if you meet the eligibility requirements below.
- You must be currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s program.
- You must have successfully completed 90 or more undergraduate hours. This may include transferred credit hours; however, at least 6 credit hours must have been earned at an APUS Institution.
- You must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Only ONE graduate level course petition may be granted during a bachelor's degree program.
- The graduate course selected must be appropriate for inclusion in your undergraduate degree program.
- The Department Chair over that course must approve your registration and will determine whether the selected course will apply as an elective or as required coursework for the undergraduate degree.
- Credit from this course may only apply once towards a degree, so it cannot be used towards a subsequent graduate degree if you continue at APUS.
Submitting a Petition
If you wish to petition to take a graduate level course, you should email your request to [email protected].
- Once your request is received, the Registrar will verify your eligibility and will notify you if denied.
- If your registration is approved, the Registrar’s office will register you in the course and will email the appropriate academic advising team.
- Your Academic Advisor will contact you to review the updates necessary to your academic plan.
- The course will fulfill one of your elective requirements. A Dean’s or Department Chair's approval would be needed to use the course towards a program requirement other than an elective.