In this section

Last Revision: January 30, 2024

Failing Grades – Repeating Courses

If you do not receive a passing grade in a doctoral course, you must retake the failed course before continuing your course progression. You will be enrolled in the specific course(s) you need to complete the appropriate doctoral term. When you complete the course(s) with a passing grade, you will be allowed to continue your course progression with the next term and with the relevant cohort based on your place in the curriculum. Course retakes will be charged at the per-credit rate for the doctoral program.

You can only retake a course if you received a failing grade “F” and if the exact course is still offered at APUS.

You are not able to retake a course in which you received an A- B- grade in order to raise your GPA or if APUS no longer offers that same course.

Retaking a Failed Course:

APUS now allows you one opportunity to retake a failed course and have your original failed grade forgiven from your GPA. The original failing grade will show as “R” on your transcript, and the previous failing grade will be removed from your GPA as long as you complete the course retake. However, you will still see your original failing grade on your personal online academic plan and on your individual online grade reports.

If you fail any other course required in your program twice, you will be dismissed from the program and no longer eligible to continue at APUS.

Important Information:

  • The course retake policy only applies if the exact course that you previously failed is still offered.
  • Original failing grades of retaken courses will still be used to calculate SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) for financial aid and for the 150% rule of course credit attempted vs course credit earned for graduation eligibility.
  • The retake policy does not apply to courses that you took in programs that you have already completed. For example, if you failed a course in your Associates program, and have already had that degree conferred, you cannot have the original failing grade forgiven in your GPA by retaking it now in your Bachelor’s program.