Last Revision: July 26, 2023
Prior Learning Assessment for Academic Credit
Our students come to us with a vast array of work experience and training, and we recognize that not all learning has resulted from traditional classroom attendance. Our Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) program provides you with the opportunity to earn credit for learning outside the confines of a traditional classroom.
The PLA portfolio program might be right for you if you have developed college- or graduate-level knowledge, skills, and abilities, and are able to demonstrate that these skills meet the learning objectives of an academic course. This prior learning may be a result of your:
- Work experience
- Formal corporate or military training
- Business ownership
- Volunteer work
- Civic leadership
- Independent study
Benefits of Prior Learning Assessment
A study by the Lumina Foundation revealed that students who participate in PLA programs are more likely to persist and graduate. PLA provides many benefits to students because it may:
- Lessen time required to complete a degree and helps lower tuition costs.
- Eliminate redundancies associated with reviewing material you have already mastered.
- Allow you to demonstrate learning for which there is no standardized exam.
- Be ideal if you perform better on written assignments than tests.
Learn more about the program and if you might be a good candidate at: https://www.apus.edu/prior-learning-assessment