About Undergraduate Transfer Credits

The University accepts undergraduate level courses towards the Associate, Bachelor's, and Certificate programs that meet all of the following criteria:

  • Have been completed at national or institutional accredited institutions of higher learning with regional and/or national accreditation, including a military school or sponsored military program.
  • Have a final grade of C or higher.
  • Have a Pass/Satisfactory grade that is equivalent to a final grade of C or higher indicated by the issuing university.
  • Not be developmental, remedial, continuing education unit (CEU), or vocational coursework.

Note: Credits from institutions that operate on a quarter system are converted into semester hours by dividing quarter hours by 1.5.

Request a preliminary review Request a transcript review

Prospective Students

Use the Transfer Equivalency Database to get a basic understanding of how your academic credits may transfer, or request a preliminary transfer credit review. There’s no charge and you don’t have to apply to the university to request one.

Undergraduate Transfer Students

You are considered an undergraduate transfer student if you:

  • Have earned academic credits at another a college or university, and are seeking an undergraduate degree.
    • Community College Graduates: Some community colleges have agreements with American Public University that align earned associate degrees with specific bachelor’s programs for maximum transfer credits. Find out if we have an agreement with your school.
    • General Education Block Credit: If you have earned an associate or bachelor's degree from an institution that is nationally or regionally accredited as recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, and you are transferring into an undergraduate degree program at American Public University, your degree may satisfy up to 30 credits of the general education requirement. The amount of transfer credit awarded may vary based on specific degree program requirements.
  • Have professional training and/or certifications.
  • Are active duty or retired military.

In order to maximize the credit you may receive, you will need to complete a transfer credit evaluation request after being admitted to American Public University. Don't worry; your admissions coach will guide you through the process if you need assistance.

Reverse Transfer

Have you earned 45 or more credits from a degree granting institution but didn't earn your associate degree?  If so you may be able to "reverse transfer" the credits you earn from American Public University and get that degree. Through our partnership with National Student Clearinghouse (NSC), we can securely send course and grade information to a participating two-year institution from which you have transferred. If eligible, you are then awarded an associate degree from that institution. For more information, please contact [email protected].

Transfer Equivalency Database

The Transfer Equivalency Database (we call it TED for short) is designed to give you a general idea of how your previous academic courses could be counted as transfer credits toward your American Public University degree.

Go to TED

This database houses thousands of transfer credit equivalencies from accredited universities. It is designed to be used as an unofficial guide to potential credit award. Your previously earned credit will be officially reviewed only after you are admitted to the university and you submit a Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) request

If you need assistance using this database, please contact [email protected].

Contact Us
If you need help or have questions, our transfer credit staff is available and will guide you through the process step by step.