Skip Navigation

Save time. Save money. Transfer your credits.

The more credits you have to transfer, the sooner you can complete your degree. Start by contacting an admissions representative for a free preliminary transfer credit review to find out if the college credits you previously earned might transfer to APU.

Just looking to take a few courses here and transfer out? Learn how.

Transfer Credit percent

Undergraduate Transfer Students

If you previously attended a college or university, but have not yet earned a bachelor's degree, you are considered an undergraduate transfer student and are required to submit a transfer credit evaluation request. Please view our undergraduate admissions page for complete details on admission requirements.  

Undergraduate Certificate Limit

Transfer up to 9 credit hours toward an undergraduate certificate program.

Associate Degree Limit

Transfer up to 45 credit hours toward an associate program. If you have a permanent address in Virginia, transfer up to 42 credit hours to comply with the 30% residency credit requirement.

Bachelor's Degree Limit

Transfer up to 90 credit hours toward a bachelor's program. If you have a permanent address in Virginia, transfer up to 84 credit hours to comply with the 30% residency credit requirement.

Graduate Transfer Students

If you attended another graduate school and have credits to transfer, we encourage you to complete our transfer credit application. However, this is not a requirement for graduate students.

Master's Degree Limit

Transfer up to 15 graduate level credits toward a master's degree.

Ways to Maximize your Transfer Credits

We are committed to awarding you as much transfer credit as possible. Discover where your previous military service, on-the-job training, or real-world experience can take you.

Military Services

You can apply to earn college credit for your military education and training courses including CCAF, JST, and DANTES.

CLEP Credits

An option for earning college credit is to take College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or American Council on Education (ACE) tests. If you qualify, you can use these exams to transfer in additional credit towards your general education or elective requirements.

Prior Learning

Looking for college credit for real-world experience? Once you’re admitted as a student here, you can enroll in our prior learning assessment (PLA) program, which grants academic credit for knowledge gained outside of college. Examples include knowledge acquired on the job, in training programs, by running a business, working with volunteer organizations, or even pursuing a hobby.

Community College Agreements

We welcome all community college graduates. Some community colleges have agreements with APU that align earned associate degrees with specific bachelor’s programs for maximum transfer credits. Find out if we have an agreement with your school. Plus, all community college graduates can submit a transfer credit evaluation and earn up to 30 general education credits automatically just for having earned an A.A. or A.S. degree.

Transferring Credits Based on your Major

There are a number of deciding factors when choosing a college major, and many transfer students consider the ability to transfer credits an important part of that decision.

Knowing which of your credits might transfer to your new program is a question best answered by speaking with one of our admissions representative who will ask:

  • Are you planning to start over with a new major, but have general education credits to transfer?
  • Are you continuing an academic major you started elsewhere and have core courses to complete here?
  • Did you earn an associate degree at a community college?
  • Have you attended military training programs or academies?

Each of these situations has a different outcome when it comes to transfer credit awards. Your admissions representative can provide a preliminary review of your credits and guide you through the transfer credit evaluation process.

Just Looking For a Few Credits?

If you’re enrolled at another university and need to take a few courses here to complete your degree on schedule, we can help. Simply select the “Non-Degree Seeking Student” status when you submit our admissions application. We strongly recommend that you first check with your primary institution to make sure the credits you earn here will transfer there.