We Understand Your Unique Challenges
With our long history of serving the military, we understand your unique challenges and have dedicated staff to support your learning efforts. With veterans on our faculty and staff, we have the experience and knowledge to help you take charge of your education and succeed.
We also offer cost-saving benefits for our military students, including:
- A tuition grant caps undergraduate, master's degree, and graduate certificate tuition at $250/credit hour*
- Textbooks and ebooks provided at no cost to undergraduate, master's degree, and graduate certificate students*
- Technology fees waived for active-duty military servicemembers, and for National Guard members, and Reservists
- Transfer credit for military education and training courses including CCAF, JST, DANTES, and ACE-evaluated training
*To minimize out-of-pocket costs, U.S. active-duty servicemembers, their spouse/dependents, National Guard members, and Reservists receive a tuition grant that caps undergraduate, master's degree, and graduate certificate tuition at $250/credit hour. In addition, a master's-level book grant provides no-cost textbooks and ebooks for master’s-level courses to active-duty servicemembers, their spouse/dependents, National Guard members, and Reservists.
Additional Admissions Info by Branch
Servicemembers, spouses, and veterans follow the same general admission requirements as all other undergraduate students or graduate students. Here is additional branch-specific information just for you:
Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) Graduates
CCAF graduates can complete certain bachelor's degrees in 60 semester hours or less through the Air University's Associate-to-Baccalaureate Cooperative Program (AU-ABC).
The CCAF General Education Mobile (GEM)
APU is proud to be one of a select few academic institutions invited to participate in the CCAF GEM program, allowing Airmen to complete CCAF's 15 semester hours of general education requirements from a selection of APU courses. If you are enrolling here to transfer credits back to CCAF, select "non-degree-seeking student" when you complete the admissions application.
Undergraduate Airmen are required to submit a government-issued CCAF transcript. Graduate Airmen will submit a legible copy of a government-issued photo ID.
Air Force tuition assistance (TA) is offered to active-duty Airmen and Reserves on extended active duty. TA is paid up to $250 per credit hour for a total of $4,500 per fiscal year.
Launching March 8, 2021
You must first register with ArmyIgnitED if you are an active-duty soldier and plan to use Army tuition assistance (TA) to pay for school.
At the ArmyIgnitED portal, you can:
- Identify your chosen degree/certificate program and request TA
- See a record of courses previously taken
- View your available TA balance
All soldiers are required to submit a government-issued joint services transcript (JST), which the university will order on your behalf.
All soldiers, including Army Reserve and Army National Guard on active duty, are eligible for TA for up to $250 per credit hour with a $4,000 cap per fiscal year.
Credentialing Assistance (CA)
As a CA provider we offer on-demand courses that support your pursuit of in-demand industry credentials available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
All Coasties are required to submit a government-issued joint services transcript (JST), which the university will order on your behalf.
Coast Guard tuition assistance (TA) is offered to uniformed personnel who are on active duty (including Reservists on Active Duty Operational Support (ADOS) or Extended Active Duty (EAD) contracts. The Coast Guard is now offering 100% tuition assistance not to exceed $250 per credit hour and $2,250 per fiscal year.
Marines and sailors in the Marine Corps Chemical Biological Incident Response Force (CBIRF), at the Naval Support Facility in Indian Head, Maryland can receive college credit at APU for their extensive training in emergency and disaster response. CBIRF students completing the Basic Operations Course (after December 1, 2007) can receive up to 15 transfer credits toward one of five associate and bachelor’s degree programs offered at APU.
Eligible CBIRF Programs
- B.A. in Emergency and Disaster Management
- B.A. in Homeland Security
- B.S. in Public Health
- A.A. in Weapons of Mass Destruction
- A.A. in General Studies
All Marines are required to submit a government-issued joint services transcript (JST), which the university will order on your behalf.
Marine Corp tuition assistance (TA) is offered to active-duty Marines up to $250 per credit hour for a total of $4,500 per fiscal year.
Navy College Program Distance Learning Partnership
This program allows all active, retired, or reserve members of the U.S. Navy to pursue rating-relevant degrees in the Navy College Program Distance Learning Partnership (NCPDLP) in associate and bachelor degree programs. Please contact one of our regional education coordinators located near you.
All active-duty sailors are required to submit a government-issued joint services transcript (JST), which the university will order on your behalf.
Navy tuition assistance (TA) is offered to active duty sailors and selected Reservists on active duty for 120 continuous days who have completed a minimum of two years of service (Cannot be waived). Additionally, TA is capped at twelve (12) semester hours per fiscal year and you can be reimbursed up to 100% of the course cost, not to exceed $250 per semester hour.
As an active-duty spouse, you qualify for these benefits at APU:
- A tuition grant that caps undergraduate, master's degree, and graduate certificate tuition at $250/credit hour.
- Textbooks and ebooks provided at no cost to undergraduate, master's degree, and graduate certificate students.
- Ability to participate in the Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship program.
Benefits of Using MyCAA
- The scholarship provides you with up to $4,000 of financial assistance for qualified programs.
- APU provides an additional $500 grant, with $250 applied to the third course and the last course of an undergraduate certificate program when using the MyCAA Scholarship.
- APU waives our $65/course technology fees when you use the scholarship to pay for courses.
Qualified MyCAA Programs
MyCAA will cover tuition costs for programs leading to an associate degree (excluding associate degrees in general studies, liberal arts and interdisciplinary studies that do not have a concentration) or a certificate program.
You can apply for MyCAA if you are the spouse of a servicemember on active duty in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2, and O-1 to O-2, and you can start and complete your coursework while your spouse is on Title 10 military orders. This includes spouses married to members of the National Guard and Reserve Components in these same pay grades.
Visit the MyCAA Spouse Portal online to apply. A real-time eligibility check will confirm if you meet MyCAA eligibility requirements.
You served our nation. Now it’s time for us to serve you.
As a veteran, you might be searching for “veteran friendly” colleges to advance your education. But what exactly does that mean? At APU, it means we have military veterans on our faculty and staff, and a dedicated veteran's support team. Here you'll find:
- Individual help activating your veterans benefits, as well as academic and career support.
- Flexible, online course schedules that let you study whether on a rotating work shift, business trip or a re-activation.
- A school that’s ranked as Best for Vets by the Military Times and participates in the G.I. Bill Yellow Ribbon program.
- 65,000+ other veteran and military students just like you.
Visit our Veterans Benefits page to learn how you can use your benefits to pay for school.
Check out the VA GI Bill comparison table to understand which benefits are right for you.
Complete your GI Bill application on the VA Benefits website. Note: Enrollment verification cannot be submitted until the university receives a copy of your completed VA paperwork and you have successfully enrolled in a class. Once your paperwork is processed and you have started classes, the VA Certifying Official will electronically submit your Certification of Enrollment (22-1999).
Join the 4,000-member strong AMU Student Veterans of America chapter.