Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020, adds new requirements for educational institutions participating in the educational assistance programs of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). These new provisions apply to Institutions of Higher Learning and Non-College Degree institutions beginning August 1, 2021. Section 1018 codifies in statute the requirements of the Principles of Excellence, currently in Executive Order 13607; however, there are requirements in addition to those embodied in the Principles of Excellence which schools must also satisfy to maintain approval for GI Bill® participation.
American Public University will provide financial information to students using benefits under chapter 30, 31, 32, 33, or 35 of title 38,U.S.C.,or chapter 1606 of title 10, U.S.C. with a College Finance Plan (personalized shopping sheet) that contains:
Estimated total course cost that includes tuition, fees, books, supplies, and any other additional costs:
- Cost of Attendance: the information is provided to assist students and families with financial planning. We include both direct costs (billed by APU) and indirect costs (realistic allowances for items like living and personal expenses).
Estimated Costs Assistance:
Estimated Indirect Costs per Academic Year:
Amount of costs that are covered by VA Education Benefits (Chapter 30, 31, 33, 35 and 1606, amount dependent on the eligibility of the student) determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA):
Type and amount of Federal financial aid, not administered by VA, and financial aid offered by the institution, that the individual may be qualified to receive:
- Financial Aid Options
- Type and amount of Federal Financial Aid award to you can be found on your College Financing Plan
Estimated amount of student loan debt the individual would have upon graduation:
- The US Department of Education College Scorecard for information regarding student loan debt
- College Navigator
Information regarding graduation rates:
Information regarding the acceptance of transfer credits, including military credits:
- Transfer Credit Policies
- Transfer Credit Process
- Military Credit Evaluation
- Request a Preliminary Transfer Credit Review
Any additional requirements including training, experience, or examinations that are required to obtain a license, certification or approval for which the course of education is designed to provide preparation:
Designated point of contact for covered individuals and family members seeking assistance with information regarding:
Other information to facilitate comparison by the individual about aid packages offered by different educational institutions:
Utilize your College Financing Plan to compare your aid package at APU with packages offered by different educational institutions. This is a consumer tool that participating institutions use to notify students about their financial aid packages. It is a standardized form that is designed to simplify the information that prospective students receive about costs and financial aid so that they can easily compare institutions and make informed decisions about where to attend school.
- The College Scorecard - A consumer planning tool and resource to assist prospective students and their families as they evaluate options in selecting a school.
- The College Navigator - A consumer tool that provides school information to include tuition and fees, retention and graduation rates, use of financial aid, and student loan default rates. It features a cost calculator and school comparison tool.
- The ‘Paying for College’ Web Page -This website can be used by prospective students to enter the names of up to three schools and receive detailed financial information on each one. You can also enter your financial aid offer information for schools you are considering for comparison purposes.
- Net Price Calculator - By completing the APU Net Price Calculator, you will be able to estimate your costs to attend APU as well as explore the grants, scholarships, and other aid programs you may be eligible to receive. It is not intended to serve as a financial aid award notice.
- General College Finance Plan by Degree Level:
- Associate Degree College Finance Plan
- Bachelor’s Degree College Finance Plan
- Master’s Degree College Finance Plan
- Undergraduate Certificate College Finance Plan
- Graduate Certificate College Finance Plan
- Undergraduate NanoCert College Finance Plan
- Graduate NanoCert College Finance Plan
- Doctoral Degree College Finance Plan
Veterans, veteran spouses, and veteran dependents may contact a School Certifying Official (SCO) within the Military Assistance Team for questions regarding veteran education benefits. Students may be referred to other university offices as needed for specific issues:
American Public University System
Military Assistance Team
111 West Congress Street