Welcome to the APUS Help Center

Enrollment Status Definition for FSA

If you plan to use Federal Student Aid (FSA) to pay for your education, then you will need to understand and follow these definitions for student enrollment status.

Undergraduate students need a minimum of 3 credits per semester for Federal Pell Grants, and a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester for FSA loans.

  • Full-time student = 12+ semester hours
  • 3/4-time student = 9 semester hours
  • Half-time student = 6 semester hours
  • Less than half-time student = 3 semester hours

Graduate students need at least 3 credits per semester for loans.

  • Full-time student = 6+ semester hours
  • 3/4-time student = 4.5 semester hours
  • Half-time student = 3 semester hours

If you have questions about your enrollment status for FSA, you may contact a financial aid advisor by emailing [email protected] or calling 855-731-9218 (Mon – Thurs 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET; Fri 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET).