Welcome to the APUS Help Center

Your 1098-T Tax Form

The university provides 1098-T (Internal Revenue Service Tuition Statement) tax forms annually in January to all students who had payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses from the previous taxable year on their student account. You will need this form if you want to claim educational credits or deductions on your federal tax return.  We recommend you contact your tax advisor to see if you qualify for educational tax credits and to understand the benefits and impacts of this tax form.

You may receive a 1098-T if you:

  • Have payments on your student account for eligible courses for academic credit and you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien.
  • Had payments for military or federal tuition assistance for qualified tuition and related expenses for the previous tax year.
  • Experience changes in the current tax year for payments or grants for qualified tuition and related expenses for the previous tax year.

You will not receive a 1098-T if you:

  • Only audit a course.
  • Only participate in a Lifelong Learning course (not typical for most university students) or an Experiential Learning course.
  • Are a nonresident alien student.
  • Have no Social Security number (unless you request a Social Security number from the federal government and provide it to the university).

You have the option of receiving your 1098-T tax form by regular mail or email. If the university mails you the 1098-T, it will be sent to your permanent address on file with the university.

You will also receive an email notification that the 1098-T form is in the mail. Please check that your information on file with the university is up to date.

In order to receive your 1098-T electronically, you must opt in by setting up a secure account through our partner, ECSI, by December 31 of this year. Be sure to provide all the requested information, and make sure that the ZIP code you provide matches the ZIP code on file with the university. After you receive email notification from the university or ECSI that your 1098-T form has been sent, you may log into your ECSI account to retrieve your form and print it for your tax records.

Please contact the Record Updates department at [email protected] if any personal information on your 1098-T tax form is incorrect. You may also fax your updated information to 304-724-0908.

To update your Social Security number in your student records, you will need to provide a copy of your Social Security card and a state-issued ID.

To update your name, provide a copy of one of the following documents:

  • Current and valid U.S. driver's license or state-issued ID
  • Court record allowing for the name change
  • Marriage or divorce documents (as applicable)
  • Current and valid U.S. passport page showing personal information

After you receive notification that your information has been accepted and updated by the university's record updates department, you can email [email protected] to have the new information updated on your 1098-T tax form.

The university's tax ID number is listed in the "FILER'S federal identification no." box on your 1098-T tax form.

For additional assistance, email [email protected] or call 877-755-2787 during the following hours:

Mon - Thurs: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET
Fri: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET
Sat: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. ET
Sun: Closed

If you are a faculty or staff member taking courses at the university, you may receive a 1098-T tax form. If you have questions, contact [email protected].