Course Code: GERM100 Course ID: 3012 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
This course will introduce the student to the fundamentals of the German language using an online immersion technique developed by Rosetta Stone. The student will learn basic vocabulary, verb conjugations, and grammatical usage through online listening, speaking, reading and writing exercises. The student will also learn about the cultures of German speaking nations. Please note the technical specifications below. These are required to interface with the online version of Rosetta Stone. If you cannot meet these requirements we strongly recommend you do not take this course. Please contact [email protected] if you are unsure or have any questions. * The ability to download and install the speech component. * A working microphone installed on the computer for speech recognition. * Access to streaming media is also required and should be confirmed before registering for the class.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Start Month||Session||Weeks|
|04/24/2023 - 09/29/2023||10/02/2023 - 11/26/2023||October||Fall 2023 Session B||8 Week session|
|05/29/2023 - 11/03/2023||11/06/2023 - 12/31/2023||November||Fall 2023 Session I||8 Week session|
|06/26/2023 - 12/01/2023||12/04/2023 - 01/28/2024||December||Fall 2023 Session D||8 Week session|
|07/31/2023 - 12/29/2023||01/01/2024 - 02/25/2024||January||Winter 2024 Session B||8 Week session|
|08/28/2023 - 02/02/2024||02/05/2024 - 03/31/2024||February||Winter 2024 Session I||8 Week session|
|09/25/2023 - 03/01/2024||03/04/2024 - 04/28/2024||March||Winter 2024 Session D||8 Week session|
Students who successfully complete German 100 should be able to:
► (Listening Skills)
- Distinguish all the sounds of German that are important to meaning.
- Comprehend brief sentences expressed within the framework of high-frequency vocabulary, grammatical forms, and sentence structures.
- Determine the meaning of unfamiliar words or phrases though logical guessing based on contextual clues.
► (Speaking Skills)
- Pronounce all the sounds of German and link sounds together in sentences with sufficient accuracy to be understood by German speakers.
- Use high-frequency vocabulary, grammatical forms, and sentence structures to converse in brief sentences in everyday situations (such as greetings, asking for directions, answering short questions, expressing basic needs and reactions, exchanging information, or persuading others)
► (Reading Skills)
- Comprehend non-technical, narrative German.
- Accurately answer straightforward questions based on a reading passage.
- Determine the meaning of unfamiliar words or phrases through logical guessing based on contextual clues.
► (Writing Skills)
- Compose in German a brief paragraph about an everyday topic, with the help of a dictionary and grammar book, without committing major errors and with sufficient clarity for German speakers to understand the paragraph the first time they read it.
- Compose in German a succinct paragraph about an everyday topic, without using a dictionary or grammar book, with sufficient clarity for German speakers to understand the paragraph, even though the student might have committed certain errors, such as verb or adjective agreement.
► (Culture-related Skills)
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of similarities and differences in the main aspects of the culture of German-speaking countries and corresponding aspects of life in the United States.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of culturally conditioned behavior patterns (such as formality or familiarity in addressing people, gestures used in greeting others, and table manners) and employ those patterns appropriately with German speakers.
|Week 1 - Introduction Forum||3.08%|
|Week 2 German - Was machst du?||3.08%|
|Week 2 Cultural - German region||3.08%|
|Week 3 German - Kleidung||3.08%|
|Week 3 Cultural||3.08%|
|Week 4 German - Sie du Dialog||3.08%|
|Week 4 Cultural - School||3.08%|
|Week 5 German - Beruf||3.08%|
|Week 5 Cultural - History||3.08%|
|Week 6 German - Freizeit||3.08%|
|Week 6 Cultural - Musik||3.08%|
|Week 7 German - Lieblingsgeschäft||3.08%|
|Week 8 German - Essen||3.08%|
|Week 2 - Rosetta Stone Unit 1||5.00%|
|Week 4 - Rosetta Stone Units 1 and 2||5.00%|
|Week 6 - Rosetta Stone Units 1 2 and 3||5.00%|
|Week 8 - Rosetta Stone Units 1 2 3 and 4||5.00%|
|Written and Oral Assignments||20.00%|
|Week 1 Oral Exercise||5.00%|
|Week 3 Oral Exercise||5.00%|
|Week 5 Oral Exercise||5.00%|
|Week 7 Oral Exercise||5.00%|
|Quiz Week 1||2.50%|
|Quiz Week 2||2.50%|
|Quiz Week 3||2.50%|
|Quiz Week 4||2.50%|
|Quiz Week 5||2.50%|
|Quiz Week 6||2.50%|
|Quiz Week 7||2.50%|
|Quiz Week 8||2.50%|
Not current for future courses.