Course Code: EDUC549 Course ID: 4647 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
The course addresses visual and performing arts standards and their integration across core elementary curriculum. The course is designed to introduce elementary teacher candidates to the application of visual and performing arts content across the areas of mathematics, science, language/literature, and history/social sciences, including current events and humane topics. The course focuses on learning about, with, and through the arts.
After successful completion of this course, candidates will be able to:
- Evaluate the body of literature related to fostering creativity in young children.
- Evaluate the body of literature related to fostering higher order thinking in young children through the arts.
- Design developmentally appropriate classroom activities that develop aesthetics in young children.
- Create integrated arts-based lesson plans that address standards (e.g. state, national, etc.).
- Design developmentally appropriate classroom activities that foster children’s knowledge of the fine arts.
- Analyze the impact of individuals in the fine arts on societies.
- Implement diverse techniques that assess individual and collective student needs in a pluralistic society.
You will participate in 10 interactive learning activities throughout this course that will challenge your creativity and teaching strategies. Be sure you have access to the additional materials necessary. The Final Project for this course is an integrated unit.
|Week 1: With Through and About the Arts||0.87%|
|Week 2: Fostering Creativity||0.87%|
|Week 3: Critical Thinking||0.87%|
|Week 3: Learning Activity Discussion||0.87%|
|Week 4: Standards||0.87%|
|Week 5: Literacy and the Arts||0.87%|
|Week 6: Creative Drama||0.87%|
|Week 7: Social Studies and the Arts||0.87%|
|Week 7: Music and Puppetry||0.87%|
|Week 8: Music||0.87%|
|Week 9: Dance and Movement||0.87%|
|Week 10: Science and the Arts||0.87%|
|Week 10: Painting and Mixed Media||0.87%|
|Week 12: Drawing||0.87%|
|Week 13: Math and the Arts||0.87%|
|Week 13: Sculpture||0.87%|
|Week 14: Art-making and Aesthetics||0.87%|
|Week 14: Classroom Management and the Arts||0.87%|
|Week 15: Assessment||0.87%|
|Week 16: Arts and the Community||0.87%|
|Week 16: Murals||0.87%|
|Week 16: Closure||0.87%|
|Activity 1: The Arts and My World||5.00%|
|Activity 2: Arts Memo||5.00%|
|Activity 3: Language Arts Samples and Analyses||5.00%|
|Activity 4: Social Studies Samples and Analyses||5.00%|
|Activity 5: Movement Facilitation||5.00%|
|Activity 6: Science Samples and Analyses||5.00%|
|Activity 7: Tech Tools Project||5.00%|
|Activity 8: Drawing and Analysis||5.00%|
|Activity 9: Math Samples and Analyses||5.00%|
|Activity 10: Assessment Activity||5.00%|
Not current for future courses.