Course Code: EDUC527 Course ID: 4646 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
This course is designed for the practicing K-12 education professional and focuses on positive classroom management approaches and strategies. This course reviews models of classroom management as well as the fundamentals of behavior change. Program candidates will explore systematic approaches including Response to Intervention (RTI) and Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) and topics such as cultural considerations, data tools, assessment and analysis of behaviors, and fostering community and collaboration in classrooms. In this course, candidates will focus on implementing strategies for class-wide, small group, and individual intervention as well as methods for monitoring student progress. Equivalent to EDUC524. (Prerequisite: EDUC503)
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Start Month||Session||Weeks|
|05/29/2023 - 11/03/2023||11/06/2023 - 12/31/2023||November||Fall 2023 Session I||8 Week session|
|07/31/2023 - 12/29/2023||01/01/2024 - 02/25/2024||January||Winter 2024 Session B||8 Week session|
|09/25/2023 - 03/01/2024||03/04/2024 - 04/28/2024||March||Winter 2024 Session D||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
- Identify components of effective classroom management models.
- Apply fundamentals of behavior change theory (NBPT p.3).
- Distinguish between alterable and nonalterable variables.
- Develop a comprehensive behavior management plan (NBPT p.3).
- Integrate theoretical concepts into classroom / instructional practices (NBPT p. 1 and 4).
- Develop behavioral goals.
- Diagnose student behavior problems and plan interventions (NBPT p. 4).
- Evaluate methods for monitoring student progress (NBPT p. 3).
- Develop action plans to address personal challenges in effectively working with student behavioral issues (NBPT p. 1).
|Week 1 Introductions||3.57%|
|Week 1 Discussion 1 Off-task Behavior and Goals||3.57%|
|Week 2 Discussion 2 Routines||3.57%|
|Week 3 Discussion 3 RTI and PBIS||3.57%|
|Week 5 Discussion 4 Initial Goal||3.57%|
|Week 6 Discussion 5 Computer Graphing||3.57%|
|Week 7 Discussion 6 Role Play||3.57%|
|W1: Activity 1: Stages||6.00%|
|W3: Activity 2: RTI PBIS Comparison||6.00%|
|W4: Activity 3: Token Economies and Point Systems||6.00%|
|W5: Activity 4: Data Collection||6.00%|
|W7: Activity 5: Behavior Recording||6.00%|
|W6: Collaborative Group Case Study||35.00%|
|W8: Comprehensive Behavior Management Plan||10.00%|
Not current for future courses.