Course Code: GERM101 Course ID: 3013 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
This course is a continuation of GERM100, German I. Students will continue to build vocabulary and be introduced to more advanced grammatical usage. In addition to similar—but more advanced—online listening, speaking, reading and writing exercises, students will also learn to communicate in more abstract patterns of thought as demonstrated through the use of cartoons and humor. Please note the technical specifications below. These are required to interface with the online version of Rosetta Stone. If you cannot meet these requirements we strongly recommend you do not take this course. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unsure or have any questions. * The ability to download and install the speech component. * A working microphone installed on the computer for speech recognition. * Access to streaming media is also required and should be confirmed before registering for the class.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|11/30/20 - 04/30/21||05/03/21 - 06/27/21||Spring 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|01/25/21 - 07/02/21||07/05/21 - 08/29/21||Summer 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
|03/29/21 - 09/03/21||09/06/21 - 10/31/21||Summer 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
Students who successfully complete German 101 should be able to:
- Conjugate verbs in the present tense.
- form questions.
- discuss likes and dislikes.
- describe political systems in German speaking countries and discuss their implications.
- form sentences in the "spoken past" tense.
- correctly choose when to use the helping verb haben vs. sein.
- differentiate between weak and strong verb endings.
- write about the future using the verb "werden".
- report on an aspect of the city of Berlin.
- include adverbs in writing/speech to express points in time.
- make comparisons.
- tell time in German with the 24 hour clock.
- research a Germanic writer and share their findings.
- use the phrase "Es gibt..." in describing a place.
- ask the question "Gibt es...?" to others.
- report on an aspect of the country of Austria.
- begin writing a story in the written past tense.
- report on a current event in the German-speaking realm.
- conjugate verbs in the written past.
- memorize stem vowel changing verbs.
- ask for directions in German.
- comprehend and follow directions to a city place.
- read and follow a German map.
- demonstrate politeness in speech (with strangers).
- ask questions about the future.
- kick extra verbs to the end of the sentence.
Rosetta Stone: To gain access to Rosetta Stone, click on Course Materials in the online classroom then German 2. You should work through the units of the program at the pace outlined in the schedule below. I encourage you however to repeat the exercises as much as you desire. Repetition is an important element of successful language acquisition and can greatly improve your average. I will assign you a grade every two weeks. You may do the exercises as many times as you like. In order to maximize the learning experience, I do encourage you to repeat the exercises as many times as is necessary to truly acquire the language.
|Week 1 Language - Introductions||3.08 %|
|Week 2 Language - Spoken Past||3.08 %|
|Week 2 Cultural - Political Systems||3.08 %|
|Week 3 Language - Comparisons||3.08 %|
|Week 3 Cultural - Berlin||3.08 %|
|Week 4 Language - What time?||3.08 %|
|Week 4 Cultural - German Literature||3.08 %|
|Week 5 Language - Es gibt...||3.08 %|
|Week 5 Cultural - Austria||3.08 %|
|Week 6 Language - Written Past||3.08 %|
|Week 6 Cultural - Current Event||3.08 %|
|Week 7 Language - Places & Directions||3.08 %|
|Week 8 Language - Future||3.08 %|
|Week 2 Rosetta Stone Unit 5||5.00 %|
|Week 4 Rosetta Stone Unit 6||5.00 %|
|Week 6 Rosetta Stone Unit 7||5.00 %|
|Week 8 Rosetta Stone Unit 8||5.00 %|
|Oral Assignments||20.00 %|
|Week 1 Oral Assignment||5.00 %|
|Week 3 Oral Assignment||5.00 %|
|Week 5 Oral Assignment||5.00 %|
|Week 7 Oral Assignment||5.00 %|
|Week 8 Quiz||2.50 %|
|Week 1 Quiz||2.50 %|
|Week 2 Quiz||2.50 %|
|Week 3 Quiz||2.50 %|
|Week 4 Quiz||2.50 %|
|Week 5 Quiz||2.50 %|
|Week 6 Quiz||2.50 %|
|Week 7 Quiz||2.50 %|
|Extra Credit||1.00 %|
|Week 1 Plagiarism Policy Agreement||1.00 %|
|Book Title:||The RosettaStone materials will be provided via the classroom.|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$25.00|
Not current for future courses.