International students with non-U.S. transcripts
As an international student, you must have your non-U.S. college and university transcripts (those not from a CHEA accredited institution or from a member university of Universities Canada) evaluated by a credential evaluation agency listed below. These agencies can interpret your educational background received outside the U.S. and provide statements of U.S. equivalencies.
Agencies should mail transcript evaluations (faxed reports are not considered official) to:
American Public University System
Attn: Document Services
111 West Congress Street
Charles Town, WV 25414
Agency Issued Reports
Evaluation agencies will complete your evaluation in one of two ways:
- Degree-only verification: Verifies the type of degree earned and whether or not the non-U.S. institution degree is equivalent to one earned at an accredited U.S. institution.
- Course-by-course evaluation: Verifies whether or not the non-U.S. institution is equivalent to an accredited U.S. institution and includes a separate report that provides U.S. semester credit, grade equivalent, and level equivalent (graduate or undergraduate) for each course. This report is used for transfer credit evaluations and 3-year non-U.S. bachelor degrees.
Accepted Credential Evaluation Agencies
You are responsible for contacting one of these accepted foreign education evaluation agencies to have your non-U.S. transcript evaluated, and to receive procedure and fee information:
- Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS): We accept only the academic report which includes the earned credential equivalency and a course-by-course report.
- National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES): Current members only. Because membership may change throughout the year, visit the NACES website to see the most current information.
- Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE): Current members only. Because membership may change throughout the year, visit the AICE website to see the most current information.