Skip Navigation

Admissions FAQS


Choosing a Program of Study

Can I take an online quiz to evaluate my interests?

Yes! The Focus-2 career assessment tool is designed to evaluate your strengths, interests, values, skills, and personality traits in order to provide you with a listing of careers relevant to your unique characteristics and a degree pathway. 

Where can I find information about employment opportunities?

Our Career Services team is here to help you. Please explore the Career Services Center where you can find out about our Virtual Job Fairs, the Job Board, Internships, Fellowships, and learn the basics of job searching, resumes, interviewing and the tools and resources we offer.

Application, Orientation, and Admission Requirement Questions  

How do I apply for admission?

You may apply for admission to the university any time by clicking on the "Apply Today" link form located at the top of each page on the website, or you can Apply Now.

How much does it cost to apply?

There is no fee for completing the admission application.

What is the orientation and enrollment agreement?

Students will be prompted to review a 5-10 minute Orientation to the university upon completion of the admission application and accept the Enrollment Agreement. The Orientation reviews important enrollment and policy information for new students. The Enrollment Agreement is verification that students understand the enrollment policies and accept the arbitration agreement set forth for students enrolling at our university. Please note: it is essential that you read both completely and thoroughly, the Enrollment Agreement is a legally binding document.

When will I have access to the ecampus?

After you submit your application, an admissions representative will walk you through the steps you need to get started. You will have access to the ecampus after you have been admitted to the university. In the meantime, the ecampus Open House is a recorded tour which can provide you with a peek into the ecampus.

What is the College Readiness Assessment and do I have to take it?

The College Readiness Assessment (ADMN100) is an online, self-paced assessment designed to help students evaluate their writing and math abilities before enrolling in courses for academic credit.

You may be required to take this assessment prior to being granted admission to the university if you are applying to an undergraduate program. Below are some more details about ADMN100.

  • There is no classroom instructor.
  • There is no tuition charged or credits earned.
  • Access ADMN100 by entering your student ID and password (created when you submitted the admission application) in the Student login found in the top right corner of the university website.
  • It consists of 4 modules that take up to 2.5 hours to complete in total.
  • You must complete ADMN100 within 8 weeks of starting the assessment or you will be denied admission to the university and will not be eligible to re-apply for one year.
  • Upon completion of the assessment, an admissions representative will contact you within 24 hours to help you complete the enrollment process.
Can I be exempt from the College Readiness Assessment (ADMN100)?

ADMN100 will be waived for current or former U.S. military service members, or graduates of a federal, state, or local law enforcement or public safety academy certified by POST, PONSI, FLETA, IFSAC, or the National Fire Academy. Also, students who have 9 or more transferable hours from an accredited institution (C grade or higher) may be able to bypass ADMN100.

Is there an admission checklist available for me to follow?

Students can download a printable Undergraduate Checklist and Graduate Checklist.

Registration and Course Selection Questions 

When can I register for my courses?

After you submit your application, an admissions representative will walk you through the steps you need to get started, and you can register for courses after you have been admitted to the university and your program.

Graduate students may register for their first course after proof of a conferred bachelor’s or higher degree is received. Selective programs may require additional documentation before registration is permitted. 

How do I register for a course?

Students register for courses by clicking on the “Register Now” tab at the top left of the ecampus or by clicking on the “My Academic Plan” option under the Records Menu. Then students select the course, professor and session, and payment type they will use for each course. Students will receive a “Registration Confirmation” upon successfully enrolling in a course, which they may wish to print and retain for future reference. Download How to Register for a Class for a step-by-step walkthrough of the registration process.

How do I get my course materials once I've registered?

Undergraduate students taking courses for academic credit will have their books provided at no charge via the APUS Book Grant once their tuition is paid. Graduate students may order their books via our preferred distributor, which is linked under Student Services on the right of the ecampus, or by purchasing the materials elsewhere online.

Which courses should I register for first?

Admitted undergraduate students should enroll in COLL100 as their first course. You should work with your admission representative if you wish to register for additional courses at the same time. Graduate students should take Research Methods or other required first course as determined by their program of study.

One of my courses has a prerequisite, which I've already completed elsewhere. How can I get the prerequisite hold lifted?

Students whose Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) is not completed can contact the TCE team to have unofficial records checked towards the prerequisites for a course; email Non Degree-seeking students must contact the Registrar's Department regarding the steps to waive a prerequisite. The Registrar's Department can be emailed at

If I have previous online experience; do I have to complete COLL100 for my undergraduate degree?

Any undergraduate student who has significant prior learning and experience in an online college environment may request a waiver of COLL100 Foundations of Online Learning. If the waiver is denied, the student must take the course. If the waiver is granted, the student is required to take an additional 3 credit course in place of the COLL100 credit hours. To request a waiver you need to click on OTHER FORMS from the left menu inside the ecampus, then click on COLL100 Waiver Form and follow the instructions listed.

Transfer Credit/Student Records Questions 

How do I begin the transfer credit process?

Students wishing to transfer academic credits into their programs must initiate the Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) from the ecampus. They may begin the TCE by clicking on the “TCE Application” from the left of the ecampus, under the Forms Menu. All Undergraduate Transfer students with previously-earned academic credits must provide their previous college transcripts and submit the TCE application as part of our Undergraduate admission policies. The TCE will take 2-3 weeks to complete once all documents listed are received.

How do I complete a transfer credit application?
  • Submit TCE Application via the ecampus
  • Upload signed Transcript Release Authorizations (TRAs) into the “My Academic Records” page from the Records Menu
  • Submit non-collegiate professional and military training and certification documents via fax (304-724-3788) or email (
I'm a first time student; do I have to complete the transfer credit process?

Students who have not previously attended colleges/universities for academic credit are not required to submit the Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE). Graduate students are not required to transfer in their previous Graduate-level credits, but are urged to do so if credits may apply to their program.

How many credits can I receive during the evaluation?

There are maximum transfer limits for our degree programs.

  • Associate degrees: 46 transfer credit maximum
  • Bachelor’s degrees: 91 transfer credit maximum
  • Master’s degrees: 15 transfer credit maximum
  • Dual Graduate degrees: 9 transfer credit maximum (no courses may transfer to the Core section)

Award of credit is based on course-by-course equivalency and several other factors, details for which can be found at the Transfer Credit Evaluation Center.

How do I submit my bachelor's/master's transcript as a graduate student to fulfill the admission requirements?

Graduate students who are not transferring in credits must have an official transcript of their bachelor’s or master’s degree, with conferral date posted, sent to our Document Services Department. They must contact their previous university and have the transcript mailed to the following address:

American Public University System
Attn: Document Services
10110 Battleview Parkway, Suite 114
Manassas, VA 20109

Electronic transcripts are considered official if they are delivered by the original granting institution through a secured website, such as Scrip-Safe, Docufide, or Avow, to

Please note: Students with graduate credits who have not completed a full master’s degree must have an official bachelor’s transcript mailed to the university.

How can I submit my non-collegiate training records to the university for the evaluation?

Students submitting non-collegiate military/professional training records for consideration for the TCE must fax or email the records to our Document Services Department. These documents can be faxed to 304-724-3788 or emailed to It is suggested that students include their ID number on fax cover sheets and in email subject lines.

Where can I check to see which documents I still need to submit for the evaluation?

Students can check to see which documents are still waiting to be received for the TCE by clicking on the “My Academic Records” option on the left of the ecampus, under the Records Menu.

I would like to have an idea of how many credits will transfer before enrolling/beginning the official transfer process; can this be done?

Students may contact the Admissions Department to request a Preliminary Transfer Credit Review (PTCR), at no charge, before enrolling or beginning the official TCE for an estimate of how many credits will be transferred into their degree program. The Admissions Department will send the student a PTCR Disclaimer, which must be completed, signed, and returned for the review to begin. Unofficial records may be submitted by fax or email for the PTCR. The PTCR is a one-time service which may be conducted towards two degree programs at our university. Prospects and students wishing to officially transfer in credits must complete the TCE upon admission.

Will the credits I receive here transfer to another college or university?

Every college and university determines its own policies regarding transfer credit, so we recommend you contact the school you would like to attend to inquire about their transfer credit policy and what is accepted. Our transfer credit depends on the student's declared program of study and whether the type of credit earned at another university meets the learning outcomes and objectives for his/her program with us.

Tuition Costs, Fees, Payment, and Financing Questions 

How much will it cost to complete my degree here?

The total cost per program is shown on each of the program description pages and is based on completing all the credits required for the program. It’s hard to answer exactly how much a program will be for you because we don’t know how many credits you intend to transfer to the program until you apply.

In general, our tuition, combined with all fees and books, is about 33% less for graduates and about 20% less for undergraduates than the average in-state rates for public university students across the United States. Please visit our Tuition and Financing homepage for detailed information and to see how we compare.

Are there fees in addition to tuition?

We take our mission to limit student costs seriously, absorbing inflationary costs whenever possible, which is one reason there is no fee to apply for admission to our university. There is a per-course technology fee, but in general, you will find our fees to be much less extensive than most public or private universities. Visit our Tuition and Financing homepage for more details.

When is tuition due?

Tuition payment is due no later than Friday at 3:00 p.m. ET during the first week of courses. All students registering for courses will need to provide financing information or payment upon registration. Book orders and shipments for undergraduate students whose courses require hardback texts will not be processed via our Book Grant until tuition payment is received or financing is confirmed. Students paying out of pocket will either pay the full sum upon registration via a credit/debit card or an e-check, or may use our Automatic Debit Plan (ADP).

What type of financing can students use?

As an accredited university, we are able to accept many forms of financing from public and private sources, including Federal Student Aid (FSA) and Military Tuition Assistance. Please visit our Paying for School page for complete details.

How do I use my financing here?

Students who are eligible for financing must submit documentation to our university when they enroll. We recommend you start the financial aid process at least one month prior to your course start date. During this time, check your email frequently and please respond promptly to requests from our financial aid team asking for documentation such as tax information or transcripts. Please visit our Paying for School page for complete details.

I'm getting ready to leave the military; does your school offer other payment options so I can continue my education?

We are here to support you, and we accept many different options to help you pay for your continued education. This includes VA benefits, Federal Student Aid (FSA), employer reimbursement, payment plans and more. Please visit our Paying for School page for complete details.

Beginning Courses, Faculty, and Technical Support Questions 

It's the first day of classes; what should I do?

Courses open at 6:00am ET on the first Monday of the month. Students should log into their courses via the “Enter Classes” feature at the top left of the ecampus. Each course has a syllabus available which students will need to open, read, and save for future reference. Students are suggested to take note of the assignments due during the first week and begin working on the assignments. It is required that students log into each course at least once during the first week and complete their required assignment or they will be dropped from the course. There is no academic penalty for dropping a course, student’s will see a grade of “DP” noted in their record if they drop a course, but the drop will not be included on official transcripts. Please refer to the Student Handbook for more information about the financial consequences of a Drop.

I have a question about an assignment; how do I contact my professor(s)?

Students primarily use the email feature used inside the online classroom to contact their professors. The email feature can be found on the left of the online classroom. Some professors also have office hours and a contact phone number posted on the course syllabus.

I'd like to know more about my professors before courses start; where can I find more information?

Students can check to see the background of their professors (i.e. their credentials and teaching/professional experience) by checking our Faculty Directory web page.

How many hours of study time should I expect per week?

During an average week, an undergraduate student should expect:

9 - 10 hours completing coursework for a 16-week course
15 - 18 hours completing coursework for an 8-week course

A graduate student should expect:

10 - 15 hours completing coursework for a 16-week course
18 - 22 hours completing coursework for an 8-week course

How will I know if an exam requires a proctor and how can I find a proctor?

If a course requires a proctor, students will be notified as such by the professor at the outset of the course. Proctors must be approved and directly in contact with professors before an examination.

How do I navigate the APUS Library?

The APUS Library is searchable for various source materials such as ebooks, and journals. Students can visit the APUS Library via their online classrooms or the ecampus. Once inside the APUS Library, a welcome and introductory walkthrough video is on the left of the APUS Library home page.

Who can I contact for academic advice and help with studying?

Our Student Advising Department is available to help students with their studying and time management habits, academic scheduling, and with using the academic resources offered by the university. Students may visit the “My Academic Plan” section of their ecampus, under the Records Menu, and then use the “Stay Connected” feature at the top to contact their advisor by email or schedule an advising appointment with them. Students may also visit the Student Advising and Resource (STAR) Center for help with academic success and to learn about Student Advising.

I'm having some technical issues with the online classroom; who can I contact to help?

Contact the Classroom Support Help Desk at or by calling 877-755-2787 x3640

What if I get deployed and cannot finish my class?

We offer special circumstance extensions or withdrawals for students who find themselves deployed without computer access or experience other circumstances that will make it impossible to complete coursework within the prescribed time frame. Any student who is eligible for a special extension or withdrawal is required to contact the Registrar's Office, the ESO (if applicable), the course instructor(s), and any other relevant parties when deployment or other circumstances will make it impossible to complete coursework within the prescribed time frame.

Course Materials

When can I start browsing the graduate bookstore?

The graduate bookstore is located at The course materials for each term are available about 30 days before the course start date. 

I'm an undergraduate student; how do I get my books?

Once your tuition payment method has been approved, the APUS Book Store will pre-fill your shopping cart with the right course materials and send an email when your course materials are ready to be validated. When electronic materials are available, APUS will provide ebooks as part of the book grant, and students will also have the option to purchase a print textbook at a minimal cost. Otherwise, the student will be provided the print textbook through the APUS Book Store as part of the grant.

Please note that in order to receive any VitalSource ebook or textbooks delivered via the APUS Book Store for any upcoming term you must complete the entire validation process in the Undergraduate Book Store. The link to the undergraduate Book Store is located on the right side of the ecampus under the Student Services section.  

Ebooks that are found in the classroom, APUS Library or on the open Web do not need to be validated. However, if you wish to purchase the hard copy version of these materials, you may do so through the APUS Book Store if that format is available. APUS will be adding more ebooks that utilize the Book Store and VitalSource ebooks later this year.

For further information on ordering books, please visit the APUS Library.

What is the VitalSource Bookshelf® and can I check it out ahead of time?

VitalSource® Bookshelf® is the preferred and most used ebook delivery platform in the world of higher education. Bookshelf® users can access content from over 200 of the world's top academic publishers whenever and wherever they choose--laptop, desktop or mobile device--and can download texts directly or access them via browser. Over 2.2 million users on 6,000 campuses worldwide have used Bookshelf®. You can read more about VitalSource and download the bookshelf.

We encourage our students to familiarize themselves with this technology by downloading the application ahead of time. There are free samples of texts, such as Charles Dickens' Great Expectations as well as other free trials for texts

What are the minimum technical requirements for the VitalSource Bookshelf®?


Latest Mac Version: 6.1.2
Mac Post Date: 12/12/2012
File Size (Mac): 18.3 MB

System Requirements:
Mac OS X 10.6 or later
Internet Connection for registration and downloading of ebook.


Latest Windows Version: 6.1.2
Windows Post Date: 12/12/2012
File Size (Windows): 90.1 MB

System Requirements:
Microsoft Windows XP SP 2 (32-bit)
Windows Vista/7/8 (32/64 bit)
Microsoft .Net 4.0
Internet Connection for registration and downloading of ebook.

Questions about American Public University System: 

Is APUS accredited?

American Public University System (APUS) is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).

Higher Learning Commission
230 North LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 60604
Phone: 800-621-7440

Further information on recognition policies and standards may be found on the following Web sites:

What is the difference between AMU and APU, and do I have to be in the military to attend?

They are two separate institutions that are both part of American Public University System and share many resources. Both schools are open to military and civilian students.

Where is APUS located?

We are located everywhere there is Internet access – your home, your office, the local coffee shop, libraries and even in remote military posts.

Our professors work from around the world – California, Canada, Austria – where many hold teaching positions at other universities or are active professionals at the National Security Agency, United Nations, the U.S. military among others.

We have two administrative offices – our headquarters are in Charles Town, WV and supporting administrative offices are in Manassas, VA.

Corporate Offices
111 West Congress Street
Charles Town, WV 25414
Phone: 304-724-3700
Toll Free: 877-468-6268
Administrative Offices
10110 Battleview Parkway, Suite 114
Manassas, VA 20109
Phone: 703-330-5398
Is there a graduation ceremony when I complete my degree?

Yes. We conduct a graduation ceremony once a year, in May or June, in the Washington D.C. area. Students who graduate between August 15 of the previous year and May 15 of the current year are invited to attend. Students who do not wish to participate in the ceremony will have their diploma and transcripts mailed to them.

I have disabilities and need assistance; can accommodations be provided to me?

Our university complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, and state and local requirements regarding students with disabilities. In compliance with federal and state regulations. For more information, email us at

Do I ever have to visit a physical campus?

No, you will never have to travel to a physical campus. All coursework and administrative tasks can be completed online.

I need access to a list of APUS' school codes; where can I find one?

For your convenience, APUS has posted our various school codes below:

Dept Ed3539300
Excelsior College (AMU)03021
Excelsior College (APU)03102
Military TA (ALL)3389 A

American Public University System, American Public University, and American Military University are not affiliated with American University or the U.S. Military. American Public University System (APUS) is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). © 2016 American Public University System | 111 W. Congress Street, Charles Town, WV 25414 | Toll Free: 1-877-755-2787 | Privacy Policy | Terms