Distinguished Graduate Award
The Distinguished Graduate Award recognizes an exceptional alumnus who embodies the APUS mission within personal and professional efforts.
In order to be considered for nomination of this award, you should:
- Provide evidence of regular and/or sustained service to the university.
- Provide evidence of regular and/or sustained service to the community/society.
- Provide evidence of a significant impact on the profession and/or community in which the individual has been active.
- Provide an inspirational example to all graduates.
- Accomplishments should be achieved over the lifetime of the graduate and should be ongoing.
- Nominees may be self-nominated, nominated by another graduate, a member of the faculty or staff, or another person outside the university who knows the nominee and the university well.
- Nominees will be notified of their nomination and encouraged to apply for the award.
- Award may, but will not necessarily, be awarded annually.
All materials are to be submitted in one complete packet to email@example.com. Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- A cover page including your name, student ID, degree completed, contact information, and graduation date.
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member or supervisor who knows you well. The letter should specifically address how you meet the requirements for the award. You may want to give your recommendation writer a brief summary of the award.
- An original essay of no more than 1,000 words that outlines why you are an exceptional candidate for the award including concrete examples of how you meet each of the requirements for this award.
- Answers questions such as: In what ways have your achievements been truly extraordinary? How have you showed interest in supporting a lifetime of military or public service?
- Evidence that you received state or national recognition for significant achievements in your chosen field and an additional letter of support/recommendation.
- Your current professional resume.
- Additional information such as news articles, recognition awards, and volunteer service that supports the nominations are encouraged, but not required.
Contact Alumni Relations if you have questions about collecting supporting documentation during the nomination process.