The graduate certificate in Homeland Security provides you with a broad understanding of national security and defense, policies, planning, and programs, as well as the ability to expertly evaluate and improve current defense tactics. The curriculum is designed to improve your understanding of national security threats, weapons of mass destruction, terrorism, intelligence, consequence management, and interagency government-related issues. This graduate program helps you to prepare for career advancement and leadership roles within the military services or homeland security field. This online certificate is intended for graduate students who want to expand their knowledge of homeland security without committing to a degree program.
The curriculum for this online graduate certificate is reviewed by an advisory council of industry experts for relevancy to today’s marketplace. Course topics include:
- Homeland security elements, operational concerns, and policies
- Weapons of mass destruction, including security and threats
- Domestic terrorism and extremist groups
- Intelligence community responses to homeland security threats
- U.S. and global homeland security laws and policies
- Research, analysis, writing, and communication
In addition to the institutional and degree level learning objectives, graduates of this program are expected to achieve these learning outcomes:
- Predict the need to conduct and/or contract for research related to high probability chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, or energetic (CBRNE) events and their consequences in any community of interest.
- Design and modify plans and programs at federal, state, and/or local levels to reflect the evolving strategic policy issues associated with a statutory and presidential direction for homeland security.
- Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of public, private and military efforts to reduce, patterned and non-patterned "warfare" by overt and covert means of both nation states and transnational terrorist groups.
- All graduate programs require you to have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an institution whose accreditation is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- If you have a non-U.S. transcript, please view our International Admissions page for more information.
- There is no fee to complete our admission application. View steps to apply.
Selecting the right program to meet your educational goals is a key step in ensuring a successful outcome. If you are unsure of which program to choose, or need more information, please contact an admission representative at 877-777-9081 or email@example.com.
Per credit hour: $350 | $325 with military grant*
*To help minimize out-of-pocket costs, we offer a tuition grant for U.S. active-duty servicemembers, Guard, Reserve, military spouses and dependents, and veterans. See all military-affiliated student benefits.
Paying for School
As an accredited university, we accept the following forms of financial aid and payments:
Ways to Save
Accelerate your degree completion by taking full advantage of our transfer credit options, including credit for your previous college courses, military service schools, American Council on Education (ACE) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests, and prior learning experiences.
The university has educational partnerships with many employers and associations. Be sure to accurately enter your employer information when you complete our admissions application. Your employer might also offer a tuition reimbursement plan as one of your benefits.