Bachelor of Arts
The Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice provides you with sound knowledge in the areas of U.S. law enforcement, criminology, investigations, law, and community relations. A wide range of course offerings enable you to focus on juvenile issues, causes of crime and criminal behavior, corrections and incarceration, investigative procedures and techniques, leadership, maritime law, or forensics. (Note: for an in-depth study in forensics, consider our Criminal Justice B.S. degree.) This bachelor’s degree will enhance your professional career path if you are currently in the criminal justice field, or can help to prepare you for a new career as a criminologist, agent, or investigator in federal, state or local law enforcement, judicial, and other organizations. Our criminal justice programs are among the most popular at the university, bringing you peer interactions and an expanded network of criminal justice professionals who are dedicated to safeguarding their communities and nation.
Courses in this bachelor’s program cover a broad range of topics, such as:
- The U.S. criminal justice system and its administration
- U.S. law enforcement, criminology, and criminal justice ethics
- Constitutional law, criminal law, and the criminal justice process
- Forensic anthropology and evidence collection
- Sexual crimes and the legal and forensic aspects of rape
- Juvenile delinquency and the juvenile court system
- Criminal rehabilitation, reentry, and reintegration into society
- Drug abuse, domestic violence, and other crimes
- Human trafficking
- Principles and issues of business and organizational security
Courses in this program are taught by highly credentialed and experienced instructors, many who hold key positions in government agencies or criminal justice organizations. View all courses.
In addition to the institutional and degree level learning objectives, graduates of this program are expected to achieve these learning outcomes:
- Recognize and explain the major international, U.S., and localized law enforcement systems and organization.
- Describe and analyze the political and public administrative aspects of law enforcement organizations.
- Communicate and apply the major theories and concepts of crime, criminal justice, and criminology.
- Conduct research associated with criminal justice and criminology theories.
- Assess the operations, practices, and processes associated with leading standards of evidence and law.
Concentrations are designed to help you group courses together so you can further specialize in your field and pursue a more focused path to degree completion. You will be asked to select a concentration when you enroll in this program.
Explore the concentrations available for this program.
Maritime Law Enforcement
Analyzes policy and operational strategies used to ensure the security of border and coastal access including defensive measures to protect ports from disruption. Explores laws and doctrines governing navigation and shipping, as well as the law of the sea. Looks at chemical, biological, and radiological classification and response to incidents involving hazardous materials.
- LSTD401 - Maritime Law
- INTL451 - Terrorism and U.S. National Security
- EDMG240 - Chemistry of Hazardous Materials
- HLSS311 - Border and Coastal Security
- HLSS312 - Port Security
Organizational Law Enforcement Leadership
Provides a solid foundation in the leadership process and its benefits to law enforcement, including identifying one’s personal style, judging the value of diversity in leadership roles, and making socially responsible decisions. Topics include gender roles in leadership, conflict resolution, human resource innovation in the workplace, budgeting, and managing an organization during a paradigm shift.
- FINC405 - Budget Development and Execution
- HRMT407 - Human Resource Management
- HRMT411 - Dispute Resolution
- MGMT312 - Leadership & Motivation
- MGMT313 - Organizational Change
- All undergraduate programs require a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent (i.e. GED).
- New undergraduate students may be asked to complete our College Readiness Assessment (ADMN100). If you have successfully completed 9 or more hours of college credit, you may reach out to your admission representative to inquire about waiving this requirement.
- If you have previous college experience, you will be asked to submit your transcripts from previous schools where you earned academic credit.
- There is no fee to complete our admission application. View steps to apply.
Selecting the right program to meet your educational goals is a key step in ensuring a successful outcome. If you are unsure of which program to choose, or need more information, please contact an admission representative at 877-777-9081 or email@example.com.
Per credit hour: $270 | $250 with military grant*
*To help minimize out-of-pocket costs, we offer a tuition grant for U.S. active-duty servicemembers, Guard, Reserve, military spouses and dependents, and veterans that caps undergraduate tuition at the military TA limit. See all military-affiliated student benefits.
Paying for School
Because our university is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), (the same as the Ohio State University, Univ. of Chicago, and U.S. Air Force Academy, to name a few), we can accept the following forms of financial aid and payments:
Ways to Save
Undergraduate Book Grant
Ebooks are provided at no cost if you are enrolled in undergraduate courses for credit. The undergraduate book grant is estimated to save $250 per academic semester if you are registered as a full-time student.
Accelerate your degree completion by taking full advantage of our transfer credit options, including credit for your previous college courses, military service schools, American Council on Education (ACE) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests, and prior learning experiences.
The university has educational partnerships with many employers and associations. Be sure to accurately enter your employer information when you complete our admissions application. Your employer might also offer a tuition reimbursement plan as one of your benefits.