Master of Public Health (MPH)
The online Master of Public Health (MPH) degree is designed to prepare professionals to resolve complex health issues and enhance the well-being of communities in the U.S. and around the world. Through excellence in teaching, research, and service, this respected online program seeks to educate and develop capable leaders in the public health workforce by closely aligning with academic community partners and by empowering students to address relevant public health problems today. This interdisciplinary degree challenges you to proactively seek implementable solutions and to develop preventative measures by understanding the scientific, psychological, and sociological competencies that significantly impact public health policy and practices today.
In a student-focused learning environment, this online MPH program provides you with a foundational understanding of the five core disciplines of public health: biostatistics; environmental health sciences; epidemiology; health policy and management; and social and behavioral sciences.
The curriculum for this online master's program is reviewed by an advisory council of industry experts for relevancy to today’s marketplace, and course topics include:
- Health policy and management
- Biostatistical data collection, analysis, and evaluation
- Environmental health sciences
- Social and behavioral aspects of health
- Public health program planning, evaluation, and ethical issues
- The U.S. health care system, agencies, influences, and challenges
- Political and ethical dilemmas facing 21st century patients
- Government agency and consumer roles in health care
- Emergency management, health and medical issues, and epidemiology
- Quarantine theories, practices, issues, and strategy
- Disaster management principles, types, and forms
Note: This program has specific admission requirements. Please view the requirements below to be sure you qualify to apply for this program.
In addition to the institutional and degree level learning objectives, graduates of this program are expected to achieve these learning outcomes:
- Assimilate knowledge and practice of community-based learning, research, and service into their professions.
- Comprehend the interaction of behavioral, social, and physical environments on public health outcomes.
- Apply evidence-based principles and a scientific knowledge base to critical evaluation and decision making in public health.
- Synthesize concepts associated with power, politics, and organizational performance in healthcare settings.
- Summarize issues and concepts related to the impact of environmental health on our global society.
- Explain how selected and widely employed social and behavioral science theories, models, constructs, and principles can be used to develop or improve programs to address major public health issues.
- Critically review and apply evidence-based evaluation of published medical and public health literature.
- Develop a framework, based on a mission, goals, and objectives and/or competencies, to evaluate public health programs for their effectiveness and quality.
- Synthesize concepts associated with specific research tasks: hypothesis construction, conceptualizing terms, literature review, data collection, critical analysis, and communicate findings.
- Examine the application of epidemiology to screening, infectious disease prevention, and policy.
- Assess the moral and ethical precepts that underlie the goals of the public health profession.
- Generate, analyze, apply, and interpret statistical data as related to public health problems and to further biomedical research.
Notice about Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) Accreditation
The governing body of the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) formally approved the university's request to begin the accreditation process for this MPH program in June of 2013, and we submitted a preliminary self-study on June 5, 2015. The steps and timeline for the accreditation process are subject to modification, and there is no assurance that the university will achieve CEPH accreditation.
This program is currently not open for admission to residents of Kentucky or New York.
All graduate programs require you to have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an institution whose accreditation is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
In addition, the following documentation is required for admission into this program, and must be provided prior to course registration:
- Three (3) character references
- Official transcripts showing a conferred bachelor's degree or higher
- Your resume/CV
- Statement of purpose and interest
- Graduate essay
- Statement of Understanding (SOU)
An admissions representative will contact you via email or phone to assist you with the enrollment process, review your documentation, and to notify you when you have been admitted into the program and may register for courses.
Note: Courses in this program are open only to students admitted to the program. These courses will not be available as electives in another program or for non-degree-seeking students.
Selecting the right program to meet your educational goals is a key step in ensuring a successful outcome. If you are unsure of which program to choose, or need more information, please contact an admission representative at 877-777-9081 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Per credit hour: $350 | $325 with military grant*
*To help minimize out-of-pocket costs, we offer a tuition grant for U.S. active-duty servicemembers, Guard, Reserve, military spouses and dependents, and veterans. See all military-affiliated student benefits.
Paying for School
As an accredited university, we accept the following forms of financial aid and payments:
Ways to Save
Accelerate your degree completion by taking full advantage of our transfer credit options, including credit for your previous college courses, military service schools, American Council on Education (ACE) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests, and prior learning experiences.
The university has educational partnerships with many employers and associations. Be sure to accurately enter your employer information when you complete our admissions application. Your employer might also offer a tuition reimbursement plan as one of your benefits.