Master of Science
The Master of Science in Accounting provides you with the theoretical knowledge, practical skills, and research competencies required to address complex accounting issues found in private corporations, governmental entities, public accounting, and not-for-profit organizations. This program extends the knowledge gained in an undergraduate accounting program to enhance your skills in written communication, research, and complex problem solving. No matter your passion, an accounting degree can help you mix that passion into your profession.
This program has been designed in consultation with industry business leaders, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), and has earned additional ACBSP Specialized Accounting Accreditation.
The curriculum for this online master’s program is reviewed by an advisory council of industry experts for relevancy to today’s marketplace. Course topics include:
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Financial statement study and analysis
- Business profitability with financial data analysis and reporting
- Accounting, budgeting, reporting and auditing
- International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- IRS tax codes, research, and tax return preparation
- Forensic accounting
- Detecting and preventing fraudulent accounting practices
- Effective decision-making skills and solutions
In addition to the institutional and degree level learning objectives, graduates of this program are expected to achieve these learning outcomes:
- Research and appraise historic, current, and developing authoritative standards in accounting and apply them appropriately to complex financial transactions.
- Utilize Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) to produce and interpret financial statements for various types of organizations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the ethical framework for accountants adopted by professional accounting organizations, such as the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA).
- Analyze, evaluate, and organize financial data to facilitate managerial decision making.
- Conduct an in-depth analysis of an organization's financial information and provide a written assessment of the results.
All graduate programs require you to have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an institution whose accreditation is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
In addition, you will need to provide an official transcript of your completed bachelor’s or master’s degree showing proof of completion of this required coursework:
- Auditing: 3 credit hours
- Cost Accounting or Managerial Accounting: 3 credit hours
- Individual Federal Taxation: 3 credit hours
- Intermediate Accounting: 6 credit hours
Pre-admission courses must be grade C or better at the undergraduate level; B or better at the graduate level.
If your bachelor's degree is NOT accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), or the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE), your required first courses here will be:
- BUSN601 - Global Management Perspective
- BUSN602 - Managerial Analysis
- BUSN603 - Quantitative Analysis
If you have a bachelor's degree in a business program that is accredited by ACBSP, AACSB, or IACBE, you are NOT required to take the courses listed above, and instead may take 3 graduate-level elective courses.
An admission representative will contact you with further details about how to submit the required documentation after you complete the enrollment application.
Selecting the right program to meet your educational goals is a key step in ensuring a successful outcome. If you are unsure of which program to choose, or need more information, please contact an admission representative at 877-777-9081 or email@example.com.
Coursework for this degree program may or may not satisfy the educational requirements for a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam in your state, depending upon your state of residency. For more information, see the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy website.
Florida: Based upon conversations with the Florida Division of Certified Public Accounting, this accounting program and coursework may not meet the education requirements to obtain a CPA license in Florida. Individuals wishing to obtain a CPA license in Florida should check with the Florida Division of Certified Public Accounting to determine eligibility.
Texas: Under the rules of the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy, at least 15 hours of upper-level accounting course work must result from physical attendance at classes meeting regularly on the campus of the transcript-issuing institution. Completion of this accounting program and coursework may not meet the education requirements to sit for the CPA exam or obtain a CPA license in Texas. Individuals wishing to sit for the CPA exam or obtain a CPA license in Texas should check with the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy to determine eligibility.
Military-Affiliated Students* = $325/credit hour
All Other Students = $350/credit hour
*To help minimize out-of-pocket costs, we offer a tuition grant for U.S. active-duty servicemembers, Guard, Reserve, military spouses and dependents, and veterans. See all military-affiliated student benefits.
Paying for School
As an accredited university, we accept the following forms of financial aid and payments:
Ways to Save
Accelerate your degree completion by taking full advantage of our transfer credit options, including credit for your previous college courses, military service schools, American Council on Education (ACE) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests, and prior learning experiences.
The university has educational partnerships with many employers and associations. Be sure to accurately enter your employer information when you complete our admissions application. Your employer might also offer a tuition reimbursement plan as one of your benefits.