James P. Etter Creativity and Innovation Award
Established in 2004, this award is presented annually by the Chairperson of the Board of Trustees during the commencement ceremony to a member of the American Public University System (APUS) community (student, alumni, faculty, administrator, or partner in learning) in recognition of an innovative or creative contribution that has made a significant impact on their community, their industry, or the world around us. James P. Etter, the first recipient and founder of APUS, had the vision and determination to create the university system. His contribution has made, and continues to make, a difference in the lives of students, alumni, and faculty throughout the world.
This award recognizes outstanding members of the APUS community for innovative and dedicated work that has inspired the APUS community. The recipient of the James P. Etter Creativity and Innovation Award will be recognized for their contribution to the community as a:
- Catalyst for organizational growth and development that benefits others
- Creator/writer/designer of a paper or creative idea which has resulted in technology, learning and development, innovation, entrepreneurship, etc.
- Change agent for performance improvements and outcomes
Awardees will be selected on the basis of demonstrated innovation, effectiveness, positive change, personal commitment, entrepreneurship, and excellence.
Nominations may be made by faculty, staff, students, alumni, and those familiar with the nominee’s work. Nominations will be accepted through February 15, 2018. If you have questions about an award, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to submit a nomination.
- Submissions are reviewed by the University Awards Committee
- Top candidates are submitted to the Office of the President for final review and approval
- There may be more than one award winner selected in a calendar year (based on the discretion of the review committee and the President’s final approval); however, if no qualified candidates are nominated, the award may not be given
If you have questions about the James P. Etter Creativity and Innovation Award, please email the Office of Student Affairs.
Past Award Recipients Include:
- 2004: Mr. James P. Etter
- 2005: BG Thomas L. Conant
- 2006: Lt. Col. Laura M. Ryan
- 2007: Mr. Steve Greer
- 2008: Dr. Fred Stielow
- 2009: Mr. Wayne Odachowski
- 2010: Mr. Wesley Holmes
- 2011: Dr. Larry Flegle
- 2012: Mr. Daniel S. Hahn
- 2013: Dr. Phil Ice
- 2014: Dr. Suzanne Minarcine and Mr. Thomas Rasbach
- 2015: Mr. Mark Bond
- 2017: Ms. Chrystal Averette