Course Code: EDUC525 Course ID: 2794 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
This course examines classroom- management models, including theoretical and empirical approaches to classroom management. The course helps candidates develop appropriate classroom management skills, including decision-making and problem solving; explore the merits and limitations of each classroom-management model; and examine the rationale for when each approach to classroom management would be most appropriately implemented. The course also presents concepts of extrinsic and intrinsic motivation; the concept of self-motivation; assertive, positive, and cooperative discipline methods; and examines the interactions of classroom environment, classroom behavior, and learning. Candidates will focus on implementing practical strategies for both preventing and managing disruptive behaviors. Topics include establishing effective classroom rules and procedures, relationships among students, teachers, families, and administrators, and helping students contribute to a positive and relevant learning environment. A field observation classroom experience where candidates apply what they are learning is a requirement of this course.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|02/22/21 - 07/30/21||08/02/21 - 11/21/21||Summer 2021 Session K||16 Week session|
|05/21/21 - 10/29/21||11/01/21 - 02/20/22||Fall 2021 Session K||16 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, candidates will be able to:
- Analyze the theory, goals, benefits, limitations, and possible outcomes of at least five different classroom management approaches (e.g. reward/punishment models, efficiency models, analytical models, and self-management models).
(WVPTS 1A1, 1A2, 1A3, 1B2, 1B3, 1D1, 1D2, 2A1, 2A2, 2A3, 2B1, 2B2, 2B3, 2C1, 2C2, 2D1, 2E1, 2E1, 2E2, 2E3, 3A1, 3A2, 3B1, 3D1, 3D3, 3F1, 3F2, 3F3)(ISTE 5C)
(NCATE 1B, 1C, 1D, 1F, 5B, 5C, 5D)
- Evaluate the potential effectiveness of any given management approach in meeting the needs of diverse students.
(WVPTS 2A3, 2B1, 3F1, 3F2, 5D1, 5F1, 5F2) (ISTE)(NCATE 4A, 4C, 4D)
- Analyze the components of routine classroom procedures and events.
(WVPTS 2D1, 2E1, 2E2, 2F1, 2F2, 3B2)(ISTE) (NCATE 1B)
- Analyze the components of disruptive classroom events, including social, curricular, and instructional factors within the classroom, as well as outside cultural, economic, and family influences.
(WVPTS 1D1, 1D2, 2A1, 2E1, 2E2, 2F1, 2F2, 3B2, 5F1, 5F2)(ISTE)(NCATE 1B, 1C, 1G, 4A)
- Examine the impact of adjusting instructional relevancy on student behavior and motivation.
(WVPTS 1D1, 2A1, 2A3, 3A1, 3D1, 3F1, 3F2)(ISTE 1B, 2B, 3D(NCATE 1A, 1C)
- Analyze effective teacher-student-parent/family relationships to support classroom expectations.
(WVPTS 2B1, 2B2, 5A2, 5B1, 5F1, 5F2, 5I1)(ISTE)(NCATE 3A)
- Analyze the roles of teachers and students in classroom management (e.g. guiding appropriate behavior and maintaining academic accountability).
(WVPTS 1C1, 1C2, 1E1, 2A1, 2A2, 2B1, 2B2,2C1, 2C2, 3B1, 3B2, 3E1, 3E2, 3E3, 3E4, 5F1, 5F2)(ISTE) (NCATE 1C)
|Book Title:||Working With Students : Discipline Strategies for the Classroom -Text Only|
|Publication Info:||aha! Process, Inc.|
|Author:||Payne, Ruby K|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$8.99|
|Book Title:||Effective Classroom Management: Models & Strategies for Today's Classrooms, 3rd ed.|
|Author:||Hardin, Carlette J.|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$35.00|
Not current for future courses.