Course Code: TLMT200 Course ID: 4160 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
This course introduces the student to retail Supply Chain and Logistics Management with a focus on the shipping and receiving functions to include its nature, scope, and processes. An examination of shipping and receiving functions and the interrelationships among these components of an operational supply chain and related logistics of large retail businesses is provided. Students receive an overview of the role and importance of shipping and receiving within the retail industry with an emphasis on effective management. The contemporary environment of retail shipping and receiving functions are addressed as well as management perspectives, inventory management, and the impacts of technology on providers and users, both domestically and globally. Ultimately, this course is for those seeking retail opportunities in management, supervisory, and/or entry-level positions as well as those transitioning into the retail industry.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|11/30/20 - 04/30/21||05/03/21 - 06/27/21||Spring 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|12/28/20 - 06/04/21||06/07/21 - 08/01/21||Spring 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
|01/25/21 - 07/02/21||07/05/21 - 08/29/21||Summer 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
|02/22/21 - 07/30/21||08/02/21 - 09/26/21||Summer 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|03/29/21 - 09/03/21||09/06/21 - 10/31/21||Summer 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
|04/26/21 - 10/01/21||10/04/21 - 11/28/21||Fall 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, the student will:
- Describe the relevant role(s) of retail supply chain management in developing supply chain capabilities and reducing inventory.
- Explain how technologies and systems facilitate global data synchronization.
- Use sourcing strategies to solve performance issues of inbound operations such as facility management, procurement, and labor.
- Recognize the service-‐oriented functions of outbound operations.
- Describe the metrics for the performance categories.
- Diagram the global shipping and receiving operations of a company with international operations.
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of outsourcing the shipping and receiving function within the retail supply chain.
- Prepare a distribution improvement strategy in relation to the shipping and receiving functions of a company.
Text 1 ‐ Required / Text: Text 2 ‐ Optional
Links to Texts (2) for Retail Shipping and Receiving ‐
- “Supply Chain Management in the Retail Industry” – Michael Hugos and Chris Thomas
- “A Practical Guide to Transportation and Logistics” – Michael B. Stroh
Perrin, Robert. (2009) “Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association” (APA) 6th Ed. - July 2009
|Book Title:||A Practical Guide to Transportation and Logistics, 3rd Ed-E-book links provided inside the classroom.|
|Publication Info:||CLASS-Logistics Network|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$19.98|
|Book Title:||Supply Chain Management in the Retail Industry-E-book links provided inside the classroom|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$20.97|
Not current for future courses.