Course Code: SPHS506 Course ID: 4238 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
This course is designed to introduce the student to theoretical and practical concepts of exercise assessment, exercise interpretation and exercise prescription. The student will develop appropriate techniques used to recommend exercise prescription for healthy and unhealthy clients. (Prerequisite: SPHS501)
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|11/30/20 - 04/30/21||05/03/21 - 06/27/21||Spring 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|12/28/20 - 06/04/21||06/07/21 - 08/01/21||Spring 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
|01/25/21 - 07/02/21||07/05/21 - 08/29/21||Summer 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
|02/22/21 - 07/30/21||08/02/21 - 09/26/21||Summer 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|03/29/21 - 09/03/21||09/06/21 - 10/31/21||Summer 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, students will fulfill the following Learning Objectives (L.O.):
Each student will:
- Prepare health appraisals including screening and risk stratification of apparently healthy individuals.
- Design an individualized exercise prescription using the results of fitness and exercise testing
- Test knowledge of the general principles of exercise prescription.
- Write an exercise prescription for healthy individuals and individuals with a controlled disease.
- Test knowledge of exercise prescription for individuals in cardiac rehabilitation, who have lifestyle diseases, live with hypertension, diabetes or obesity.
- Synthesize knowledge of body composition assessment in the context of exercise prescription
- Synthesize knowledge of proper nutrition and weight management techniques in the context of exercise prescription
- Test general knowledge of Exercise Testing and Prescription
|Forum 1||3.13 %|
|Forum 2||3.13 %|
|Forum 3||3.13 %|
|Forum 4||3.13 %|
|Forum 5||3.13 %|
|Forum 6||3.13 %|
|Forum 7||3.13 %|
|Forum 8||3.13 %|
|Week 1- Lab 1||8.75 %|
|Week 3- Lab 2||8.75 %|
|Week 5- Lab 3||8.75 %|
|Week 6- Lab 4||8.75 %|
|Final Paper||25.00 %|
|Week 7- Final project||25.00 %|
|Writing Assignment: Chronic Disease paper||15.00 %|
|Week 2- Writing Assignment||15.00 %|
See Course Outline
In the Course Materials folder there are additional course articles, and up to date APA handouts.
In addition to the required course texts the following public domain Websites are useful. Please abide by the university’s academic honesty policy when using Internet sources as well. Note web site addresses are subject to change.
The OWL at Purdue
APA Style Homepage
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the course eReserve.*|
Not current for future courses.