- Degrees & Programs
- Student Activities
- Career Services
Course Code: SPAN100 Course ID: 3002 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
Provides an introduction to the language and culture of the Spanish-speaking world. Focus is placed on development of four skills: reading and listening comprehension and writing and speaking proficiency. Much practice is also dedicated to pronunciation, lexicon and syntax through a variety of materials. Students will also learn about the culture and people of Spanish speaking countries and the Hispanic/Latino communities in the United States.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|03/30/20 - 09/04/20||09/07/20 - 11/01/20||Summer 2020 Session D||8 Week session|
|04/27/20 - 10/02/20||10/05/20 - 11/29/20||Fall 2020 Session B||8 Week session|
|05/25/20 - 10/30/20||11/02/20 - 12/27/20||Fall 2020 Session I||8 Week session|
|06/29/20 - 12/04/20||12/07/20 - 01/31/21||Fall 2020 Session D||8 Week session|
|07/27/20 - 01/01/21||01/04/21 - 02/28/21||Winter 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
|08/31/20 - 01/29/21||02/01/21 - 03/28/21||Winter 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|09/28/20 - 02/26/21||03/01/21 - 04/25/21||Winter 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
Students who successfully complete Spanish 100 should be able to:
► Listening Skills
1. Distinguish all the sounds of Spanish important to meaning.
2. Comprehend brief sentences expressed within the framework of high-‐frequency vocabulary, grammatical forms, and sentence structures.
3. Determine the meaning of unfamiliar words or phrases though logical guessing based on contextual clues.
► Speaking Skills
1. Produce all the sounds of Spanish and link sounds together in sentences with sufficient accuracy to communicate with Spanish speakers.
2. Use high-‐frequency vocabulary, grammatical forms, and sentence structures to converse in brief sentences in everyday situations (such as greetings, asking for directions, answering short questions, expressing basic needs and reactions, exchanging information, or persuading others)
► Reading Skills
1. Comprehend non-‐technical, narrative Spanish.
2. Accurately answer straightforward questions based on a reading passage.
3. Determine the meaning of unfamiliar words or phrases through logical guessing based on contextual clues.
4. Identify errors in peer work and determine corrections to words and grammar errors
► Writing Skills
1. Compose in Spanish a brief paragraph about an everyday topic, with the help of a dictionary and grammar book, without committing major errors and with sufficient clarity for Spanish speakers to comprehend the paragraph the first time they read it.
2. Compose in Spanish a succinct paragraph about an everyday topic, without using a dictionary or grammar book, with sufficient clarity for Spanish speakers to comprehend the paragraph, even though the student might have committed certain errors, such as verb or adjective agreement.
► Culture-‐related Skills
1. Demonstrate basic knowledge of similarities and differences in the main aspects of the culture of Spanish-‐speaking countries and corresponding aspects of life in the United States.
2. Demonstrate basic knowledge of culturally conditioned behavior patterns (such as formality or familiarity in addressing people, gestures used in greeting others, and table manners) and employ those patterns appropriately with Spanish speakers.
|Week 1: Presentaciones||4.38 %|
|Week 2: Investigaciones||4.38 %|
|Week 3: La Familia||4.38 %|
|Week 4: Personajes||4.38 %|
|Week 5: Festivales||4.38 %|
|Week 6: Las dos Fridas||4.38 %|
|Week 7: Tu Vecindario||4.38 %|
|Week 8: Reflejos||4.38 %|
|Rosetta Stone||20.00 %|
|Week 2: Rosetta Stone Unit 1||5.00 %|
|Week 4: Rosetta Stone Units 1 and 2||5.00 %|
|Week 6: Rosetta Stone Units 1, 2, and 3||5.00 %|
|Week 8: Rosetta Stone Units 1, 2, 3 and 4||5.00 %|
|Assignments: Skill Sets||15.00 %|
|Week 1: Vocabulario||2.14 %|
|Week 2: Enfoque gramatical 1||2.14 %|
|Week 3: Ejercicio Oral||2.14 %|
|Week 4: Enfoque gramatical 2||2.14 %|
|Week 5: Rimas||2.14 %|
|Week 6: Enfoque gramatical 3||2.14 %|
|Week 7: Presentaciones Orales||2.14 %|
|4 RS Content Quizzes||15.00 %|
|Week 5: Quiz #3||3.75 %|
|Week 6: Quiz #4||3.75 %|
|Week 2: Quiz #1||3.75 %|
|Week 3: Quiz #2||3.75 %|
|Cumulative Review||15.00 %|
|Week 8: Cumulative Review||15.00 %|
|Book Title:||The RosettaStone materials will be provided via the classroom.|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$25.00|
Not current for future courses.