Course Code: RTMG203 Course ID: 4144 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
Students will define the commercial safety environment and extrapolate various trends in commercial safety, to include strategies and characteristics of a safe work environment, and ways to mitigate potential safety risks. Students will review and analyze case studies and scenarios about employee safety policies and practices and examine the manager’s role to drive safety compliance in order to sustain brand image. In addition, they will examine team safety training and understand practices that emphasize the importance of individual compliance. Students will identify how to establish a corporate safety structure and define and explain the characteristics of an effective commercial safety training system. Finally, an examination of best practices to protect employees and to drive continuous improvement in safety practices will be conducted by students.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|10/26/20 - 04/02/21||04/05/21 - 05/30/21||Spring 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Define Commercial Safety and trends within the commercial safety field.
2. Identify characteristics of a safe work environment and various approaches to Commercial Safety strategies.
3. Explain how to mitigate potential safety risks, including employee safety policies.
4. Analyze the manager’s role in safety compliance and brand image.
5. Examine team safety training and practices that emphasize the importance of individual compliance.
6. Evaluate methods to establish a corporate safety structure and an effective commercial safety training system.
7. Describe best practices around safety to protect employees and methods for continuous improvement in safety practices.
8. Demonstrate various challenges that face retail leaders in both private and public sectors with safety issues and maintaining safe working environments.
|Introduction Forum||5.00 %|
|Week 1 Forum||5.00 %|
|Week 2 Forum||5.00 %|
|Week 3 Forum||5.00 %|
|Week 4 Forum||5.00 %|
|Week 5 Forum||5.00 %|
|Week 6 Forum||5.00 %|
|Week 7 Forum||5.00 %|
|Week 8 Forum||5.00 %|
|Assignment 1: Avoiding Risk Essay||15.00 %|
|Assignment 1: Avoiding Risk Essay (Due Week 3)||15.00 %|
|Assignment 2: Designing Safety Training||20.00 %|
|Assignment 2: Safety Training Manual (Due Week 6)||20.00 %|
|Assignment 3: Final Paper||20.00 %|
|Assignment 3: Final Research Paper (Due Week 8)||20.00 %|
Required Readings: See Course Outline Additional Resources:
In the Course Materials folder, there are additional articles, PowerPoints, and up to date APA handouts.
In addition to the required course texts, the following public domain Websites are useful. Please abide by the university’s academic honesty policy when using Internet sources as well. Note web site addresses are subject to change.
The OWL at Purdue
APA Style Homepage
DMS Retail Management Page
|Book Title:||Fundamentals of Occupational Safety and Health, 6th ed - e-book available in the APUS Online Library; links also provided inside the classroom.|
|Publication Info:||Bernan Press|
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the course eReserve.*|
Not current for future courses.