Course Code: NURS506 Course ID: 4793 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
Today’s nurse leaders must possess the essential communication, critical-thinking and decision-making skills required to effectively manage teams providing high quality healthcare to diverse populations. This course addresses issues related to inter-professional collaboration, quality improvement initiatives, data-driven decision making, leadership and communication styles and their effect on interaction with members of healthcare teams. (Prerequisite: NURS502)
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Analyze the various leadership roles of the advanced practice nurse (PO 2)
- Evaluate the effect of leadership and communication styles on interactions with members of a healthcare team (PO 7)
- Analyze the significance of effective inter-professional collaboration on patient safety and healthcare outcomes (PO 7)
- Compare and contrast quality improvement models and their impact on safety (PO 4)
- Evaluate the nurse leader’s role in designing and implementing safe care delivery models (PO 2, 7)
- Assess the structure of a healthcare organization, including its mission and vision, as it relates to strategic planning and the provision of quality health care (PO 4)
This course also covers Master’s Essentials II, III, V, VII, VIII, and IX
Students are required to participate in the forums each week. Replies must be posted in the week due and replies after the end of the each week will not be graded. The Forums are for student interaction and input should be submitted before the week ends in order to fully participate in the discussions. Students should demonstrate their own knowledge in the forums and avoid copying and pasting from websites.
- Post the initial response to each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Wednesday.
- Initial responses should be no less than 300 words.
- Initial responses are to be original in content and demonstrate a thorough analysis of the topic.
- Reply to at least 2 of your classmates in each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Sunday.
- Replies to classmates should be no less than 200 words.
- Responses to classmates are significant to advance the forum.
- All forums can be accessed in the Forums section of the course.
The School of Health Sciences requires use of APA style and format and each student is required to have a current copy of the APA Publication Manual. All written assignments are to be submitted in APA format style unless otherwise noted in the assignment directions.
Academic Writing Requirements:
The School of Health Sciences requires use of APA format and style and all are encouraged to have a current copy of the APA Publication Manual. All written assignments are to be submitted in APA format style unless otherwise noted in the assignment directions.
In addition to the required course texts, the following public domain web sites are useful. Please abide by the university’s academic honesty policy when using Internet sources as well. Note web site addresses are subject to change.
- Academic Center for Evidence-based Nursing (ACE): http://www.acestar.uthscsa.edu/
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ): http://www.ahrq.gov
|Book Title:||Transformational Leadership in Nursing: From Expert Clinician to Influential Leader, 2nd ed. - e-book available in the APUS Online Library|
|Author:||Marshall and Broome|
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the course eReserve.*|
Not current for future courses.