After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Examine evidence-based practice in the framework of professional nursing practice. (PO 1, PO 3)
- Describe the difference between quality improvement, research and evidence-based practice. (PO 5)
- Analyze the components of quality research and the use of research in development of evidence-based practice. (PO 3)
- Evaluate current nursing and other healthcare quality initiatives and safety measures, including their development and validation processes (PO 3, PO 6).
- Appraise safety initiatives that are in place in clinical nursing practice and their impact on patient safety. (PO 6, PO 7)
- Apply research principles to evaluate published research (PO 3).
- Explore opportunities and barriers to the implementation of evidence-based practice in differing healthcare settings. (PO 2, PO 7)
- Appraise the research process in discovery of the best evidence. (PO 9)
- Analyze ethical considerations related to human subjects research and the implementation of evidence-based practice. (PO 8)
- Conduct an electronic database search to assess the current body of knowledge on a selected topic. (PO 4)
*Also please see weekly course objectives.
Baccalaureate Essentials covered in this course include I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX.