After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
► Listen, Speak, Read, and Write
- Accurately pronounce specific sounds of the Japanese language that are important to meaning, and link sounds together in words and sentences at a basic level with sufficient accuracy (pronunciation) to be understood by Japanese speakers.
- Speak Japanese using high-frequency vocabulary, grammar, and brief sentence structures in everyday situations (for example: greetings, asking for directions, answering short questions, expressing basic needs and reactions, exchanging information, or persuading others).
- Read and demonstrate understanding of basic, non-technical, narrative common Japanese high-frequency vocabulary words, grammatical forms, and brief sentence structures.
- Write specific sounds, words, and brief sentences in Japanese language using English (Romaji), Japanese characters (Hiragana) and appropriate characters for “borrowed” Japanese words (Katakana).
- Respond to spoken or written questions both orally and in writing, using Japanese high-frequency vocabulary, grammar, and brief sentence structures.
- Determine the meaning of unfamiliar words or phrases through logical guessing based on contextual clues.
7. Describe specific Japanese culture traditions (for example: formality or familiarity in addressing people, gestures used in greeting others, and table manners).