Course Code: ISSC490 Course ID: 2653 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
This course discusses both business continuity and disaster recovery planning. Business continuity investigates Risk Assessment & Management, Business Impact Analysis, and Continuity Strategy Development. The strategy component focuses on incorporating preventive measures, sustaining critical functions, planning for emergency response operations, and implementing recovery plans. This course analyzes employee training & development, chain-of-command, communications, policies & procedures, and fire drills.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|12/28/20 - 06/04/21||06/07/21 - 08/01/21||Spring 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
|03/29/21 - 09/03/21||09/06/21 - 10/31/21||Summer 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
The successful student will fulfill the following learning objectives:
CO-1: Examine the basic concepts of business security
CO-2: Identify and discuss the different components of business continuity planning
CO-3: Analyze business continuity planning standards and guidelines
CO-4: Identify the structure of a business continuity project
CO-5: Identify and discuss the types of risk assessment
CO-6: Examine the importance of communications within a business continuity plan
CO-7: Explain the basic elements of risk mitigation
CO-8: Examine the basic concepts of disaster recovery planning
CO-9: Discuss the core features of disaster recovery and business recovery
CO-10: Explain testing, auditing, and training
CO-11: Analyze the importance of plan maintenance
The grading will be based on eight weekly assignments, eight weekly Forum postings, three weekly quizzes, instructor contacts, and an individual project paper with topic and outline.
- There will be eight assignments (5% each) counting a total of 40% of the final grade. The assignments will follow each of the major milestones of the course. These assignments will be problems or questions from the text. They are a combination of Lesson Reviews and Lesson Activities and/or Labs. They are selected to provide the student with information to understand the concepts discussed. Assignments should be prepared in Microsoft Word using the following file naming convention: ISSC490_Week#Assignment_First_Last.doc(x) (where the # is the week number, and first and last are your first and last names resp.) and submit the file in this assignments’ area and uploaded into the student folder by the due date. Any necessary Visio diagrams should be incorporated within the Word document as part of the document.
- There will be eight weekly Forum postings you will need to respond to. Answers should be 3-4 paragraphs with a topic sentence that restates the question and supporting sentences using the terms, concepts, and theories from the required readings. Each answer should be a minimum of 300 words (about 7 good sentences). You may attack, support or supplement other students’ answers using the terms, concepts and theories from the required readings. All responses should be a courteous paragraph that contains a topic sentence with good supporting sentences. You may respond multiple times with a continuous discussion with points and counter points. The key requirement is to express your idea and then support your position using the terms, concepts and theories from the required readings to demonstrate to me that you understand the material. The Forum postings will count as 20% (2.5% for each discussion posting) of the final grade.
- There will be a project paper (20%) with topic selection (1%), outline (2%) throughout the session, counting as 23% total of the final grade. Please practice using the same file naming convention established in this class for each of these files.
- There will be quizzes (5% each) a total 15% of the final grade. There will be three non-proctored quizzes. These assessments will cover selected sections of the textbook. It will be a multiple choice and true/false and will be open book and open note
- Students must make a minimum of 5 classroom Messages (or phone contacts) with the professor beyond the initial contact during the run of the course. Contacts may consist of providing feedback on Resource, questions, comments, related experiences, etc. The Contacts will count as 2% of the final grade.
All assignments, Forum question responses, and the labs are due by 11:55 Eastern Time Sunday of the week assigned.
Project Paper (Topic, Outline, PowerPoint Presentation, and Paper) Topics:
Week 2: Topic selection due
Week 4: Outline due
Week 7: Paper due
Topics: Acceptable BCP or DR topics (unless I have already approved one):
- The history of BCP and\or DR
- Business impact analysis
- Risk assessment
- Administrative plan
- Crisis management plan
- Technical recovery plan
- Work area recovery plan
- Pandemic plan
- All hazards plan
- Data safety
- Records recovery
Details of Project Paper (10%): You must include at least ten references.
Prepare a 10-15 page paper in Microsoft Word (counts as 10% of the final grade) in APA format (see writing expectations in the Policies section) (350 words per page). The paper should be between 2500 to 5300 words excluding the title page content and the references page content. At a minimum include the following:
- Detailed description of the area researched
- Technology involved in the area
- Future trends in the area
- Example companies involved in the area
- Regulatory issues surrounding the area
- Global implications for the area
- References (minimum of 10)
You may use resources from the APUS Online Library, any library, government library, or any peer-reviewed reference (Wikipedia and any other publicly-reviewed source is not accepted). The paper must be at least 10 pages double-spaced, 1" margin all around, black 12 point font (Times New Roman or Arial) with correct citations of all utilized references/sources, (pictures, graphics, etc... are extra - allowed but extra for the minimum page count). The title page and references are also required but don't count in the minimum page count. A minimum of 10 references are required.
The paper will be subjected to checking against plagiarism. The paper must follow acceptable originality criteria (no more than 15% max total, and 2% per individual source match are allowed).
Save the file using the following file naming convention: ISSC366_Project_First_Last.doc(x) (where first and last are your first and last names resp.) and submit the file in this assignment area
Here are the originality report requirements:
- The originality report must be less than 15% match
- No single source shall be above 2%
- You must submit the originality report with your paper to your AMU classroom
If you don't follow these three requirement instructions you will get a 0 for your project paper assignment. I will give you the chance to rework your papers until an acceptable level of match is achieved.
At the end of the class, if you have not submitted your paper to turnitin.com, I will submit it anyways even after you'd get a 0, to see the level of plagiarism found, if any. If turnitin.com matches more than 40% you will be subject to academic reporting.
|Week #8 Assignment||5.00 %|
|Week #1 Assignment||5.00 %|
|Week #2 Assignment||5.00 %|
|Week #3 Assignment||5.00 %|
|Week #4 Assignment||5.00 %|
|Week #5 Assignment||5.00 %|
|Week #6 Assignment||5.00 %|
|Week #7 Assignment||5.00 %|
|Forum #1||2.50 %|
|Forum #2||2.50 %|
|Forum #3||2.50 %|
|Forum #4||2.50 %|
|Forum #5||2.50 %|
|Forum #6||2.50 %|
|Forum #7||2.50 %|
|Forum #8||2.50 %|
|Contact Points||2.00 %|
|Contact Points||2.00 %|
|Week #2 - Project Paper Topic||1.00 %|
|Week #8 - Project Paper Final Product||20.00 %|
|Week #4 - Project Paper Outline||2.00 %|
|Week 7 Quiz||5.00 %|
|Week 3 Quiz||5.00 %|
|Week 5 Quiz||5.00 %|
|Book Title:||To find the library e-book(s) req'd for your course, please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the eReserve by course #.|
|Author:||No Author Specified|
|Book Title:||The Disaster Recovery Handbook-E-book available in the APUS Online Library.|
|Author:||Wallace et al|
Not current for future courses.