Course Code: HOSP313 Course ID: 2954 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
A foundation for the study, theory, and meaning of leisure from its historical roots through contemporary times is the focus. Specific topics include society and leisure; leisure and the human life cycle, leisure development and provision; gender and leisure; among others.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|11/30/20 - 04/30/21||05/03/21 - 06/27/21||Spring 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|02/22/21 - 07/30/21||08/02/21 - 09/26/21||Summer 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the changes in Leisure from a historical perspective.
- Apply theories and demographical analysis to develop a service to reduce the perceived societal time crunch.
- Compare and contrast varying definitions of leisure, recreation and play.
- Explain the importance of volunteerism in a changing economy.
- Demonstrate how different generational groups view leisure versus work differently
- Identify how changing demographics, the economy and the changing attitudes will affect the Leisure industry.
|Week 1 Forum||5.00 %|
|Week 2 Forum||5.00 %|
|Week 3 Forum||5.00 %|
|Week 4 Forum||5.00 %|
|Week 5 Forum||5.00 %|
|Week 6 Forum||5.00 %|
|Week 7 Forum||5.00 %|
|Week 8 Forum||5.00 %|
|Writing Assignments||20.00 %|
|Assignment Week 3 - Finding More Leisure Time||10.00 %|
|Assignment Week 5: Volunteers fill the need||10.00 %|
|Final Project||15.00 %|
|Assignment Week 8: Final Project||15.00 %|
|Week 1 Quiz||4.17 %|
|Week 2 Quiz||4.17 %|
|Week 4 Quiz||4.17 %|
|Week 5 Quiz||4.17 %|
|Week 6 Quiz||4.17 %|
|Week 8 Quiz||4.17 %|
This course uses electronic textbooks, access information is in the classroom
Please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php and search by the course number (HOSP313) to access your required resources.
Required Readings – As assigned, see Weekly Lessons and Forum Postings
Additional Resources and Websites – See Weekly Lessons
|Book Title:||The Leisure Economy - E-book available in the APUS Online Library|
|Book Title:||Leisure and Recreation Management, 5th Ed - e-book available in the APUS Online Library|
|Publication Info:||Taylor & Francis, Inc.|
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the course eReserve.*|
Not current for future courses.