- Degrees & Programs
- Student Activities
- Career Services
Course Code: HOSP204 Course ID: 2909 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
A study of the legal rights and liabilities of travel and tourism personnel, hotel and restaurant operators, including innkeeper and guest, landlord and tenant, liquor, sanitation, labor and other laws applicable to hotel and restaurant operations; insurance coverage for the protection of the hotel and restaurant operators from the various liabilities inherent to these types of operations; safety measures necessary to protect guests and employees from legal harm.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|04/27/20 - 10/02/20||10/05/20 - 11/29/20||Fall 2020 Session B||8 Week session|
|06/29/20 - 12/04/20||12/07/20 - 01/31/21||Fall 2020 Session D||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
1. Analyze the interrelationship of the decisions made as managers and leaders in the hospitality industry and their legal implications
2. Discuss the influence of changing cultural and social environments on legislation and regulations.
3. Outline the responsibilities of the hospitality organization as determined by statutes and regulations such as the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), contract law, and other legislation.
4. Explain the relationship of employers, employees, and guests within a legal framework.
5. Evaluate operational activities and procedures in various hospitality operational structures and their impact on guests and property.
|Weekly Discussion Forums||25.00 %|
|Forum: Week 2||3.13 %|
|Forum: Week 3||3.13 %|
|Forum: Week 4||3.13 %|
|Forum: Week 5||3.13 %|
|Forum: Week 7||3.13 %|
|Forum: Week 6||3.13 %|
|Forum: Week 8||3.13 %|
|Weekly Written Assignments||25.00 %|
|Week 2 Assignment: Case Analysis||8.33 %|
|Week 4 Assignment: Schurr v. Resorts Int'l Hotel||8.33 %|
|Week 6 Assignment: Meeting dietary needs||8.33 %|
|Litigation Reform perspective||8.33 %|
|Extra Credit: Food Safety Analysis||2.50 %|
|Term Project||30.00 %|
|Term Project: Learning Analysis Collage||30.00 %|
|Extra Credit: Industry update (week 3)||1.50 %|
|Extra Credit: Industry update (week 5)||1.50 %|
|Extra Credit: Industry update (week 6)||1.50 %|
|Extra Credit: Industry update (week 4)||1.50 %|
|Week 2 Review Quiz||5.00 %|
|Week 3 Review Quiz||5.00 %|
|Week 6 Review Quiz||5.00 %|
|Week 7 Review Quiz||5.00 %|
Required Readings – As assigned, see Weekly Lessons and Forum Postings
Additional Resources and Websites – See Weekly Lessons
|Book Title:||Hospitality Law, 4th ed - the VitalSource e-book is provided inside the classroom|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$30.00|
Not current for future courses.