Course Code: HIMA600 Course ID: 4768 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
This course provides students with a foundation in financial management skills and principles applicable to the health care field. Students will examine the difference between accounting and financial management, different reimbursement methodologies, accounting and financial statements, revenue cycle management, and avenues for financing major capital investments. They will learn areas related to managing cash, billings, and collections, alternative forms of ownership, as well as using cost information in decision-making. Additionally, students will be exposed to the laws and regulations that affect health care financial reporting and performance such as the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 and the expansion of health care services into new fields.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|11/30/20 - 04/30/21||05/03/21 - 06/27/21||Spring 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|12/28/20 - 06/04/21||06/07/21 - 08/01/21||Spring 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
|02/22/21 - 07/30/21||08/02/21 - 09/26/21||Summer 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
1. Contrast various forms of ownership.
2. Examine reimbursement methodologies.
3. Assess accounting and financial statements.
4. Diagram revenue cycle management.
5. Demonstrate health care financial management decision-making utilizing cost information.
6. Analyze the impact of different laws and regulations on health care financial reporting and performance.
Please join the forums each week. Replies must be posted in the week due and replies after the end of the each week will not be graded. The Forums are for student interaction and input should be submitted before the week ends in order to fully participate in the discussions. Students should demonstrate their own knowledge in the forums and avoid copying and pasting from websites.
• Post the initial response to each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Thursday.
• Initial responses should be no less than 300 words.
• Initial responses are to be original in content and demonstrate a thorough analysis of the topic.
• Reply to at least 2 of your classmates in each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Sunday.
• Replies to classmates should be no less than 200 words.
• Responses to classmates are significant to advance the forum.
• All forums can be accessed in the Forums section of the course.
Required Textbook for the degree program:
Candidates are expected to adhere to APA style throughout the program. The Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (Currently 6th ed.) should be purchased and used in all courses.
In addition to the required course texts, the following public domain web sites are useful. Please abide by the university’s academic honesty policy when using Internet sources as well. Note web site addresses are subject to change.
AHIMA Home - American Health Information Management Association. (n.d.). Retrieved
December 2, 2014, from http://www.ahima.org/
HIMSS - Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society. (n.d.). Retrieved December
2, 2014, from http://www.himss.org/
|Book Title:||Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 7th ed.|
|Author:||American Psychological Association|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$35.99|
|Book Title:||Introduction to Health Care Finance and Accounting, 1st ed.|
|Author:||Harrison and Harrison|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$32.00|
Not current for future courses.