Course Code: HIMA230 Course ID: 4901 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
This course will introduce the student to the principles of taxonomy. The course will include purposes of classifying procedures, clinical vocabularies, and terminologies/nomenclatures. The course will include purposes of coding for professional services, ambulatory services and procedures. The course will properly instruct the student on the proper usage of CPT and HCPCS code books. The interaction of different code systems such as the Prospective Payment Systems (PPS) with classification systems will be emphasized. Data quality, the UACDS as well as coding/sequencing guidelines will be examined. Coding and indexing of procedures using various classification systems and nomenclatures. The interaction of different Prospective Payment Systems with classification systems and data quality will be emphasized. (Prerequisite: HIMA220)
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|09/28/20 - 02/26/21||03/01/21 - 04/25/21||Winter 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
|10/26/20 - 04/02/21||04/05/21 - 05/30/21||Spring 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, candidates will be able to:
1. Apply principles and applications of procedures codes using SNOMED-CT, CPT/HCPCS, and DSM.
2. Establish accuracy of procedural groups such as APC, OPPS.
3. Analyze the purpose of the LOINC database and how LOINC facilitate the exchange and pooling of results for clinical care, outcomes management, and research.
4. Utilize current regulations and established guidelines in code assignments
5. Validate coding accuracy using clinical information found in the health record.
6. Evaluate discrepancies between coded data and supporting documentation.
7. Implement coding compliance strategies, auditing, quality monitoring and reporting, such as CCI, compliance.
Please join the forums each week. Replies must be posted in the week due and replies after the end of the each week will not be graded. The Forums are for student interaction and input should be submitted before the week ends in order to fully participate in the discussions. Students should demonstrate their own knowledge in the forums and avoid copying and pasting from websites.
- Post the initial response to each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Wednesday.
- Initial responses should be no less than 300 words.
- Initial responses are to be original in content and demonstrate a thorough analysis of the topic.
- Reply to at least 2 of your classmates in each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Sunday.
- Replies to classmates should be no less than 200 words.
- Responses to classmates are significant to advance the forum.
- All forums can be accessed in the Forums section of the course.
Required Textbook for the degree program:
Candidates are expected to adhere to APA style throughout the program. The Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (Currently 6th ed.) should be purchased and used in all courses.
In addition to the required course texts, the following public domain web sites are useful. Please abide by the university’s academic honesty policy when using Internet sources as well. Note web site addresses are subject to change.
ICD-10 Version:2015. (n.d.). Retrieved December 4, 2014, from
Welcome to ICD10Data.com. (n.d.). Retrieved December 4, 2014, from
|Book Title:||EHR Go (aka Neehr Perfect) - Program Key & purchase instructions provided inside the classroom. Students will need access for the entire program. This material is not covered by the APUS Book Grant.|
|Author:||No Author Specified|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$285.00|
|Book Title:||Health Information Management: Concepts, Principles, and Practice, 5th ed. - the VitalSource e-book is provided inside the classroom|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$115.00|
|Book Title:||Student Workbook for Green's 3,2,1 Code It!, 5th ed. - the VitalSource e-book is provided inside the classroom|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$32.00|
|Book Title:||3-2-1 Code It!, 5th ed. - the VitalSource e-book is provided inside the classroom|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$32.00|
|Book Title:||CPT 2017 Professional Edition - the VitalSource e-book is provided inside the classroom|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$114.95|
Not current for future courses.