Course Code: EVSP699 Course ID: 2781 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
Designed specifically for students with an interest in scholarly research or continuing their academic career in doctoral studies, this course requires students to present original scholarly research. The capstone thesis must have a substantial research component, which will include research questions and presentation of an original argument using proper academic writing conventions. Students writing a capstone thesis will collect and analyze data from carefully documented primary and/or secondary sources, and will develop a rigorous research paper in the style of a traditional scientific paper (i.e., abstract, introduction, methods, results, discussion, references). The capstone thesis must represent an original contribution to the body of knowledge within the broad field of environmental policy and management. The theories, research methods, analytical skills, and substantive knowledge obtained through the Environmental Policy and Management curriculum provide the basis for the thesis project. NOTE: This is intended to be the final course in the degree program. This course is 16 weeks in length. (Prerequisite: EVSP601)
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
- LO-1 Practice sound research methods in support of scholarly research.
- LO-2 Apply the scientific method to the investigation of a research hypothesis or research question(s).
- LO-3 Discriminate between scientifically valid, primary literature and popular literature.
- LO-4 Evaluate an environmental policy and management issue through quantitative and qualitative means.
- LO-5 Formulate new research questions, using scientific data, reason and persuasion in a logical argument.
- LO-6 Demonstrate professional communication skills.
|Forum 1||0.63 %|
|Forum 2||0.63 %|
|Forum 3||0.63 %|
|Forum 4||0.63 %|
|Forum 5||0.63 %|
|Forum 6||0.63 %|
|Forum 7||0.63 %|
|Forum 8||0.63 %|
|Forum 9||0.63 %|
|Forum 10||0.63 %|
|Forum 11||0.63 %|
|Forum 12||0.63 %|
|Forum 13||0.63 %|
|Forum 14||0.63 %|
|Forum 15||0.63 %|
|Forum 16||0.63 %|
|3 Minute Thesis Presentation||10.00 %|
|Final Capstone Thesis||80.00 %|
|Final Submission Capstone Thesis||80.00 %|
Required Readings and Other Resources
Identified in the Lessons
Additional Resources: Please go to the program guides in the APUS Library for additional resources:
Environmental Policy and Management: http://apus.campusguides.com/environmental_policy_management?hs=a
- Microsoft Office (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint) - American Public University System provides Microsoft Office 365 to AMU/APU students and faculty at no cost
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
|Book Title:||There are no required books for this course.|
Not current for future courses.