Course Code: EVSP639 Course ID: 4656 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
This course will focus on in-depth writing of the Affected Environment and Environmental Consequences sections of an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). Students will propose and research a project as the basis for the EIS sections to be developed and determine the resources or issues that should be evaluated in the EA/EIS. Students will conduct detailed analyses of the environmental assessment process, and assess the environmental, societal, and economic impacts of large-scale federal projects and programs. The final product of the course will be fully developed sections of a Draft EIS (DEIS). (Prerequisite: EVSP629)
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
- LO-1 Analyze direct, indirect, and cumulative environmental effects of a proposed action.
- LO-2 Integrate NEPA with relevant environmental regulations, including the National Historic Preservation Act (Section 106), Endangered Species Act (Section 7), and Clean Air Act/NAAQS.
- LO-3 Apply appropriate EA/EIS analytical methodologies.
- LO-4 Analyze Categorical Exclusions, Environmental Assessments, and Environmental Impact Statements for compliance with NEPA and CEQ Guidelines.
- LO-5 Prepare a Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS).
|Forum 1||3.00 %|
|Forum 2||3.00 %|
|Forum 3||3.00 %|
|Forum 4||3.00 %|
|Forum 5||3.00 %|
|Forum 6||3.00 %|
|Forum 7||3.00 %|
|Forum 8||3.00 %|
|Assignment 1 Notice of Intent - DUE Week 1||10.00 %|
|Assignment 2 Introduction, Purpose, Need and Objectives, Alternatives - DUE Week 2||10.00 %|
|Assignment 3. Draft Affected Environment Chapter - DUE Week 4||10.00 %|
|Assignment 4 Draft Environmental Consequences Chapter - DUE Week 6||10.00 %|
|Assignment 5 Complete DEIS and Reflection - Due Week 7||10.00 %|
|Final Project||26.00 %|
|Assignment 6 Final DEIS Group Project - Due Week 8||26.00 %|
Required Readings - See the Lessons for additional readings and weekly lecture notes
Additional Resources: Please go to the Environmental Policy & Management | Program Guide: Home in the APUS Library for additional resources:
- Microsoft Office (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the course eReserve.*|
Not current for future courses.