Course Code: EVSP629 Course ID: 3970 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
This course focuses on the study and review of the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA) and related environmental legislation. Emphasis will be on the practical, rather than the theoretical, application of NEPA requirements. Students will conduct detailed analyses of the environmental assessment process, and assess the environmental, societal, and economic impacts of large-scale federal projects and programs. Course assignments will require students to write and review environmental impact documents, formal letters of comment, and procedural documents. (Prerequisite: EVSP503)
The successful student will fulfill the following learning objectives:
- LO-1 Describe the environmental compliance process as stated in the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA) (as amended) and Council on Environmental Quality Guidelines.
- LO-2 Define the legal requirements that affect the scope of an environmental impact assessment.
- LO-3 Prepare environmental impact assessment documents.
- LO-4 Analyze environmental impact documents to identify strengths and weaknesses, verify legal soundness, and assess adequacy of environmental impacts of the proposed major federal actions.
- LO-5 Analyze the effectiveness of the NEPA process and its impact on federal environmental decision making.
- LO-6 Evaluate the roles of adaptive management and stakeholder involvement in the NEPA process.
|Forum - Week 1||3.00 %|
|Forum - Week 2||3.00 %|
|Forum - Week 3||3.00 %|
|Forum - Week 4||3.00 %|
|Forum - Week 5||3.00 %|
|Forum - Week 6||3.00 %|
|Forum - Week 7||3.00 %|
|Forum - Week 8||3.00 %|
|Purpose, Need and Proposed Action - DUE Weeks 2/3||19.00 %|
|Alternatives and Affected Environment- Due Weeks 4/5||19.00 %|
|Environmental Consequences - Due Weeks 6/7||19.00 %|
|Final Project-Decision Document||19.00 %|
Other readings as identified in the Lessons
Additional Resources: Please go to the program guides in the APUS Library for additional resources:
Environmental Policy and Management: http://apus.campusguides.com/environmental_policy_management?hs=a
- Microsoft Office (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint) - American Public University System provides Microsoft Office 365 to AMU/APU students and faculty at no cost
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
|Book Title:||There are no required books for this course.|
|Author:||No Author Specified|
Not current for future courses.