Course Code: EVSP627 Course ID: 2742 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
Landscape planning and ecology is a rapidly developing area of study that explicitly examines the effects of spatial pattern and scale on ecological processes that unfold over areas of several square miles or larger. Thus, landscape ecology and planning provides many concepts, tools, and approaches that will enhance the effectiveness of endeavors such as watershed management, ecosystem management, design of conservation reserves and green infrastructure, and smart growth. The goal of this course is to give students a firm grasp of the concepts of landscape ecology and planning and how they can be applied to enhance the effectiveness of environmental policy, management, regulation, and assessment.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|11/30/20 - 04/30/21||05/03/21 - 06/27/21||Spring 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|01/25/21 - 07/02/21||07/05/21 - 08/29/21||Summer 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
|03/29/21 - 09/03/21||09/06/21 - 10/31/21||Summer 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
- LO-1 Demonstrate the principles of landscape ecology.
- LO-2 Analyze spatial patterns in landscapes.
- LO-3 Assess implications of landscape dynamics.
- LO-4 Appraise the relationship between the disciplines of landscape ecology and environmental planning.
- LO-5 Demonstrate the use of environmental policy in the science of landscape ecology.
- LO-6 Analyze a complex landscape-level project
- LO-7 Develop a formal letter of comment to articulate environmental impacts on the landscape.
|Forum 1||3.00 %|
|Forum 2||3.00 %|
|Forum 3||3.00 %|
|Forum 4||3.00 %|
|Forum 5||3.00 %|
|Forum 6||3.00 %|
|Forum 7||3.00 %|
|Forum 8||3.00 %|
|Quiz 1||9.00 %|
|Quiz 2||9.00 %|
|Quiz 3||9.00 %|
|Quiz 4||9.00 %|
|EIS Final||20.00 %|
|EIS Comment Letter: Final Draft||20.00 %|
|EIS Draft 1||10.00 %|
|EIS Comment letter: Draft 1||10.00 %|
|EIS Draft 2||10.00 %|
|EIS Comment Letter: Draft 2||10.00 %|
Additional Resources: Please go to the program guides in the APUS Library for additional resources:
Environmental Policy and Management: http://apus.campusguides.com/environmental_policy_management?hs=a
- Microsoft Office (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint) - American Public University System provides Microsoft Office 365 to AMU/APU students and faculty at no cost
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Links provided inside the classroom.|
|Author:||No Author Specified|
Not current for future courses.