Course Code: EVSP509 Course ID: 4655 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
This course consists of an in-depth review of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), its legislative background and history, significant case law, and Council of Environmental Quality (CEQ) Guidelines. Students will review examples of agency Categorical Exclusions, Environmental Assessments, and Environmental Impact Statements to become familiar with the documents as a building block for EVSP629 Environmental Impact Analysis. Students will evaluate whether specific documents "meet the intent or spirit" of NEPA, compare state vs. federal NEPA regulations, and review at least one federal agency’s NEPA procedures. (Prerequisite: EVSP503)
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to achieve the following course learning objectives (LO):
- LO-1: Analyze the legislative history of the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA).
- LO-2: Analyze the role of Federal agencies in the NEPA Process.
- LO-3: Evaluate significant NEPA case law and legal challenges/requirements.
- LO-4: Evaluate whether specific documents “meet the intent or spirit” of NEPA.
- LO-5: Analyze federal vs. state NEPA regulatory processes.
- LO-6: Analyze the effectiveness of one federal agency’s NEPA process.
|Forum 1||3.00 %|
|Forum 2||3.00 %|
|Forum 3||3.00 %|
|Forum 4||3.00 %|
|Forum 5||3.00 %|
|Forum 6||3.00 %|
|Forum 7||3.00 %|
|Forum 8||3.00 %|
|Assignment 1 Scoping Plan||12.67 %|
|Assignment 2 Agency Interpretations of NEPA||12.67 %|
|Assignment 3 Case Law I||12.67 %|
|Assignment 4 Case Law II||12.67 %|
|Assignment 5 EIS Analysis I||12.67 %|
|Assignment 6 EIS Analysis II||12.67 %|
Readings will be identified in the Lessons area of the classroom and include library and web-based resources.
Additional Resources: Please go to the program guides in the APUS Library for additional resources:
Environmental Policy and Management http://apus.campusguides.com/environmental_policy_management?hs=a
- Microsoft Office (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint) - American Public University System provides Microsoft Office 365 to AMU/APU students and faculty at no cost
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Links provided inside the classroom.|
|Author:||No Author Specified|
Not current for future courses.