Course Code: EVSP508 Course ID: 2730 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
This course is an advanced study of environmental issues from a moral and philosophical approach. Issues raised in the course and through student research and writing will include: the moral obligation or lack thereof, to preserve and protect the environment; the ethical presumptions that underlie environmental policy; the traditional theories of moral philosophy applicable to contemporary environmental problems; and the potential for a new concept of the relationship between humanity and nature.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|11/30/20 - 04/30/21||05/03/21 - 06/27/21||Spring 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|12/28/20 - 06/04/21||06/07/21 - 08/01/21||Spring 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
|01/25/21 - 07/02/21||07/05/21 - 08/29/21||Summer 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
|02/22/21 - 07/30/21||08/02/21 - 09/26/21||Summer 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|03/29/21 - 09/03/21||09/06/21 - 10/31/21||Summer 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
|04/26/21 - 10/01/21||10/04/21 - 11/28/21||Fall 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
- LO-1 Critique the philosophical bases and key arguments for various environmental ethical positions.
- LO-2 Compare and contrast various philosophical positions for protecting the environment.
- LO-3 Analyze real-life ecological and social implications of adopting various environmental ethics.
- LO-4 Evaluate the underlying environmental ethics of the United States government.
|Forum 1 - Class Week 1||1.00 %|
|Forum 2 - Class Week 2||2.00 %|
|Forum 3 - Class Weeks 3 & 4||2.00 %|
|Forum 4 - Class Week 5||2.00 %|
|Forum 5 - Class Weeks 6 & 7||2.00 %|
|Forum 6 - Class Week 8||1.00 %|
|Comparative Analysis||50.00 %|
|APA Style Reference List||5.00 %|
|Data Gathering||10.00 %|
|Comparative Paper on Theoretical Worldviews||35.00 %|
|Case Study in Environmental Ethics||20.00 %|
See the Lessons section of the classroom for additional readings and weekly lecture notes
Additional Resources: Please go to the program guides in the APUS Library for additional resources:
- Environmental Policy and Management: http://apus.campusguides.com/environmental_policy_management?hs=a
- Microsoft Office (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint) - American Public University System provides Microsoft Office 365 to AMU/APU students and faculty at no cost
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Links provided inside the classroom.|
|Author:||No Author Specified|
Not current for future courses.