Course Code: EVSP505 Course ID: 4134 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
This course examines the principles of managing wildlife resources with emphasis on the history of wildlife resources in the United States, population ecology, wildlife values, and the administration of wildlife resources and resources agencies.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|11/30/20 - 04/30/21||05/03/21 - 06/27/21||Spring 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|02/22/21 - 07/30/21||08/02/21 - 09/26/21||Summer 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
- LO-1 Apply ecological concepts and principles to problems in wildlife management and conservation.
- LO-2 Discriminate between the various methods of estimating population abundance, growth, and survivorship.
- LO-3 Assess the habitat requirements of both common and threatened and endangered species.
- LO-4 Assess the role of collaborative efforts in the management of wildlife populations.
- LO-5 Apply the concept of ecosystem management to wildlife conservation and management activities.
- LO-6 Analyze regulations and issues (social, economic, ethical, and ecological) in the management and conservation of wildlife populations.
|Forum: Week 1||3.00 %|
|Forum: Week 2||3.00 %|
|Forum: Week 3||3.00 %|
|Forum: Week 4||3.00 %|
|Forum: Week 5||3.00 %|
|Forum: Week 6||3.00 %|
|Forum: Week 7||3.00 %|
|Forum: Week 8||3.00 %|
|Assignment 1 - Video Presentation||13.00 %|
|Assignment 2 - Life History||13.00 %|
|Assignment 3 - Wildlife Disease (Or Optional Climate Change)||13.00 %|
|Assignment 5 - Management||13.00 %|
|Assignment 4||9.00 %|
|Assignment 4 - Population Modeling Exercise||9.00 %|
|Final Project||15.00 %|
|Final Project - Species Management Plan Review||15.00 %|
See the Lessons section of the classroom for additional readings and weekly lecture notes
Additional Resources: Please go to the program guides in the APUS Library for additional resources:
- Environmental Policy and Management: http://apus.campusguides.com/environmental_policy_management?hs=a
- Microsoft Office (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint) - American Public University System provides Microsoft Office 365 to AMU/APU students and faculty at no cost
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
|Book Title:||Conservation of Wildlife Populations: Demography, Genetics, and Management, 2nd ed.- ebook available in the APUS Online Library|
|Author:||L. Scott Mills|
Not current for future courses.