Course Code: EVSP430 Course ID: 3352 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
This course focuses on pollution, its influence on the environment and ecosystems, and the major strategies designed to prevent or contain it. Topics include basic principles in pollution management, air pollution, marine and freshwater pollution, managing radiation, and the influence of society on pollution management. No prior experience with pollution management is needed, although the student is expected to have enthusiasm for the subject matter.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|08/31/20 - 01/29/21||02/01/21 - 03/28/21||Winter 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|11/30/20 - 04/30/21||05/03/21 - 06/27/21||Spring 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
- LO-1 Explain the different pathways through which pollution enters the environment.
- LO-2 Identify the various sources of air pollution and air pollution management methodologies.
- LO-3 Identify the various sources of pollution of water resources and water pollution management methodologies.
- LO-4 Explain how we manage solid wastes on a local and global scale.
- LO-5 Describe the pollution issues associated with energy production and use.
- LO-6 Evaluate the use of pesticides, their impact upon the environment and the philosophy behind Integrated Pest Management.
- LO-7 Examine sources of pollution within the home environment.
- LO-8 Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of zero waste/zero emissions.
|Forum 1||3.00 %|
|Forum 2||3.00 %|
|Forum 3||3.00 %|
|Forum 4||3.00 %|
|Forum 5||3.00 %|
|Forum 6||3.00 %|
|Forum 7||3.00 %|
|Forum 8||3.00 %|
|Written Assignments||49.00 %|
|1 Air Pollution Summary||7.00 %|
|2 Air||7.00 %|
|3 Water||7.00 %|
|4 US Freshwater||7.00 %|
|5 NPL||7.00 %|
|6 Energy/PBT||7.00 %|
|7 Metals/Pesticides||7.00 %|
|Quiz 1: Understanding Pollution||6.00 %|
|Quiz 2 - Air Pollution||6.00 %|
|Final Assessment||15.00 %|
|Week 8 Final Assessment||15.00 %|
|4 US Freshwater||0.00 %|
See the Lessons section of the classroom for additional readings and weekly lecture notes
Additional Resources: Please go to the program guides in the APUS Library for additional resources:
- Environmental Science: http://apus.libguides.com/environmental_science
- Microsoft Office (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint) - American Public University System provides Microsoft Office 365 to AMU/APU students and faculty at no cost
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
|Book Title:||To find the library e-book(s) req'd for your course, please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the eReserve by course #.|
|Author:||No Author Specified|
|Book Title:||Understanding Environmental Pollution, 3rd Ed - e-book available in the APUS Online Library|
|Publication Info:||Cambridge University Press|
Not current for future courses.