Course Code: ELEN426 Course ID: 4610 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
This course is an in-depth coverage of the basic properties of antenna theory, analysis, and design. Topics covered include radiation patterns; antenna gain and directivity; antenna main lobe and side lobe levels and shaping; system losses; and antenna impedances. Different types of antennas including linear dipoles; horns; slot antennas; and linear and planar array antennas will be examined. Students will be introduced to numerical methods for analysis and modeling as well as the effects of RF frequency on antenna design. NOTE: This course requires the student to purchase additional materials that are not covered by the book grant. Please refer to the Course Materials section for additional details. (Prerequisite: ELEN310 and ELEN350)
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|11/30/20 - 04/30/21||05/03/21 - 08/22/21||Spring 2021 Session K||16 Week session|
After completing the course, the student should be able to accomplish these Learning Objectives (LO):
- Demonstrate an understanding of antenna theory.
- Compare and contrast the radiation patterns of dipoles, loops, helices, horns, slots, and patch antennas.
- Explain the operational concepts of both linear and planar array antennas.
- Assess various antenna structures and components and be able to isolate individual blocks.
- Given a series of key parameters, choose the correct type of antenna for a specific requirement.
- Design an antenna circuit to solve a specific problem or requirement.
Instructor announcements: Weekly announcements will appear on Monday of each week in the online classroom. This announcement will also be e-mailed to each student. The announcement will discuss the assignments for the week along with any other pertinent information for the week.
This is an upper-level course; all students’ work is to be presented as such in terms of quality and content. The grading system will be based on your participation in the forums (20% of your total grade), twelve homework assignments (180 points or 30% of your grade), and three exams (50% of your grade).
Reading Assignments: Please refer to the Course Outline section of this syllabus for the weekly reading assignments.
Week 1 Introductions: Within 7 days of course start, each student must log into the classroom and introduce yourself to the class. This is a required assignment and your introduction is due by Sunday of Week 1. Your response must be 250-300 words (a requirement) and include the following information.
- Your name
- Your university major or program
- Where you are in the program of study
- Your academic goals, to include why you are taking this class
- Information that you would like to share about yourself
Weekly Forums: The weekly discussion forum is for students to post their questions on course content for that week. This forum should not be used to discuss specific test questions prior to receiving feedback from the instructor (after the test is graded). If there is a question on a specific question, find a similar problem in the book and ask a question on that problem or concept. Asking specific questions on test questions creates an unfair advantage and defeats the purpose of the assessment tool. Specific topics will occur throughout the course and will require critical thought/research for your input – be sure to keep up with ongoing discussions! Discussion Board posting are graded at the end of the session and will constitute 20% of your final grade,
Weekly Assignments: There will be thirteen weekly assignments during the course worth a total of 30% of your total grade. Each weekly assignment will cover one or more chapters in the book used in this course. For all problems requiring mathematical calculations, all work must be shown.
Exams: There will be two exams worth 40% of your final grade. Each exam will be worth 100 points each. Exams will be open book, open note tests. Exams will be administered without a proctor. Students must complete the numbered exam by the end of the week indicated in the schedule.
|Book Title:||Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd ed - e-book available in the APUS Online Library|
|Publication Info:||Wiley Lib|
|Book Title:||To find the library e-book(s) req'd for your course, please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the eReserve by course #.|
|Author:||No Author Specified|
Not current for future courses.