Course Code: DEFM550 Course ID: 4690 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
This course develops a foundation of concepts and solutions that supports the planning, scheduling, controlling, resource allocation, and performance measurement activities required for successful completion of a project. Tools and concepts such as project charter, scope statement, work breakdown structure, project estimating, and scheduling methodologies are studied. No prerequisite.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|12/28/20 - 06/04/21||06/07/21 - 08/01/21||Spring 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
|02/22/21 - 07/30/21||08/02/21 - 09/26/21||Summer 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|04/26/21 - 10/01/21||10/04/21 - 11/28/21||Fall 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to
1. Define the role of projects and project management.
2. Create a project charter, a scope statement, a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), and Responsibility Assignment Matrix (RAM).
3. Explain the relationships among tasks based on a WBS, a network diagram and critical path.
4. Assess major schedule, cost, and performance risk elements for managing risks.
5. Explain key elements of a communications plan to keep stakeholders abreast of progress, problems, and controls.
6. Demonstrate project management software to plan, implement, control, and report on a project.
7. Describe the steps required to plan a project.
8. Define the characteristics of a project and its deliverables.
Please see the Student Handbook to reference the University’s grading scale.
|Wk 1 Forum||2.00 %|
|Wk 2 Forum||4.00 %|
|Wk 3 Forum||4.00 %|
|Wk 4 Forum||4.00 %|
|Wk 5 Forum||4.00 %|
|Wk 6 Forum||4.00 %|
|Wk 7 Forum||4.00 %|
|Wk 8 Forum||4.00 %|
|Paper Assignments||32.00 %|
|Assignment 1: Week 2: Paper 1||8.00 %|
|Assignment 2: Week 3: Paper 2||8.00 %|
|Assignment 6: Week 6: Paper 3||8.00 %|
|Assignment 7: Week 7: Paper 4||8.00 %|
|Term Project Paper||36.00 %|
|Assignment 8: Week 8: Term Project Paper||36.00 %|
Other Course Material
Other course materials are all online or from the APUS online library. They are contained in the course lessons and Forums and Assignments as needed.
Required Readings: Per Weekly Lesson
In addition to the required course texts, the following public domain web sites are useful. Please abide by the university’s academic honesty policy when using Internet sources as well. Note web site addresses are subject to change.
Web Site URL/Address
National Contract Management Association
International Association for Contract and Commercial Management
|Book Title:||Successful Program Management: Complexity Theory, Communication, and Leadership (Ebook available through the APUS Online Library)|
|Publication Info:||Taylor and Francis|
|Author:||Wanda Curlee and Robert Lee Gordon|
Not current for future courses.