Course Code: DEFM420 Course ID: 4638 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
This course introduces methods and techniques necessary to analyze a contractor's cost proposal and to develop a Government negotiation objective. Students will apply the cost analysis techniques to analyze a contractor's proposal and develop a cost objective. The course also introduces negotiation terminology, styles, and techniques.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|11/30/20 - 04/30/21||05/03/21 - 06/27/21||Spring 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|02/22/21 - 07/30/21||08/02/21 - 09/26/21||Summer 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, students will fulfill the following Learning Objectives (LO):
- Explain the use and application of a contract audit.
- Explain the role of DCAA. Explain a contractor's estimating and accounting systems.
- Explain the contractor’s estimating process, and the government’s responsibility in analyzing contractor costs proposals.
- Explain cost objectives for direct material, direct labor, other direct costs, indirect costs, facilities cost of money, and profit/fee.
- Explain the significance of cost/price analysis and certified cost and pricing data when preparing for and after negotiations.
- Explain the process for conducting contract negotiations.
- Define the key factors and techniques required to prepare for proper analysis and negotiation of a contractor’s cost proposal.
Please see the Student Handbook to reference the University’s grading scale.
|Wk 1 Forum||2.00 %|
|Wk 2 Forum||4.00 %|
|Wk 3 Forum||4.00 %|
|Wk 4 Forum||4.00 %|
|Wk 5 Forum||4.00 %|
|Wk 6 Forum||4.00 %|
|Wk 7 Forum||4.00 %|
|Wk 8 Forum||4.00 %|
|Paper Assignments||32.00 %|
|Assignment 1: Week 1: Paper 1||8.00 %|
|Assignment 2: Week 2: Paper 2||8.00 %|
|Assignment 6: Week 6: Paper 3||8.00 %|
|Assignment 7: Week 7: Paper 4||8.00 %|
|Term Project Outlines||12.00 %|
|Assignment 3: Week 3||4.00 %|
|Assignment 4: Week 4||4.00 %|
|Assignment 5: Week 5||4.00 %|
|Term Project Paper||24.00 %|
|Assignment 8: Week 8: Term Project Paper||24.00 %|
Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) located at http://www.acquisition.gov/far/index.html
Universal Commercial Code (UCC) located at http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc
In the Course Materials folder there are PowerPoint presentations, leadership articles, and up to date APA handouts.
Netlibrary—you can read directly online. Note, printing is one page at a time and, depending on number of users at any one time, you may be locked out. http://ezproxy.apus.edu/login?url=http://www.netlibrary.com/urlapi.asp?action=summary&v=1&bookid=224414
In addition to the required course texts the following public domain Websites are useful. Please abide by the university’s academic honesty policy when using Internet sources as well. Note web site addresses are subject to change.
The OWL at Purdue
APA Style Homepage
|Book Title:||Business Risk Management : Models and Analysis - e-book available in the APUS Online Library|
|Publication Info:||Wiley Lib|
|Author:||Edward J. Anderson|
|Book Title:||Cost-Based Pricing - e-book available in the APUS Online Library|
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the course eReserve.*|
Not current for future courses.