You're driven to serve. We're driven to help you succeed.
American Public University (APU) was founded by a Marine Corps officer in 1991 to provide military personnel with a portable, relevant, and affordable education. Today, our mission extends to those who serve and protect our communities in law enforcement, emergency response, fire services, homeland security, and intelligence.
We know that your world requires a quality education that is as flexible as it is affordable. Our public safety degrees and certificates are taught entirely online. This means you can enter our mobile-friendly classroom at any time, on any device, in any location and work on your assignments.
At APU, you'll find support from our public safety industry leaders on our staff and in our classroom. Our staff includes alumni from the FBI National Academy, Chiefs of Police, unit commanders and investigators, and a former U.S. DOJ lawyer. And our faculty includes expert instructors from around the country who bring their field-tested knowledge and strategies directly into the classroom.
Intelligence & Homeland Security
- Homeland Security (B.A., M.A., Undergraduate Certificate, Graduate Certificate)
- Intelligence Studies (B.A., M.A.)
- Criminal Justice (A.A., B.A., B.S., M.A., Certificate, Learning Track)
- Executive Law Enforcement Leadership (Certificate)
- Law Enforcement Leadership (Certificate)
- Public Administration (MPA)
Emergency & Disaster Management
- Emergency Management - (Certificate)
- Emergency Management Executive Leadership – (Certificate)
- Emergency and Disaster Management* - (B.A., M.A., Certificate)
- Emergency and Disaster Management & Homeland Security* - (M.A./M.A.)
*With specialized accreditation from the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC)
Complete this form and we’ll contact you with more information about APU.
Meet Our Partners
The strength of our program relies on established partnerships with public safety organizations like the FBI National Academy and the International Association of Emergency Managers to name a few. These partnerships ensure our courses deliver relevant and current information to prepare graduates for leadership positions within public safety agencies.
- Visit our In Public Safety blog for expert perspectives from faculty, staff, and students.
- Request complimentary visor cards. These provide a great reference to help public safety professionals make the right decisions.
- View our online learning tracks. We offer 3-course learning track bundles focusing on some of today’s most pressing topic areas.