Students interested in environmental science will find our degree and certificate programs rewarding and beneficial in preparing for a career in many industries.
NAEP and APU Partnership
This partnership offers NAEP members access to flexible and affordable online courses, certificates, and degree programs; with a variety of concentrations including Environmental Sustainability, Environmental Planning, and Global Environmental Management.
Whether you currently work as an Environmental Project Manager, Policy Analyst, NAEP Project Manager, or other environmental position, this partnership provides access to quality education designed to help you meet your professional goals.
Take the next step and complete a no-fee application.
We want you to make an informed decision about the university that's right for you. For more about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, visit www.apus.edu/disclosure.
U.S. industry employs more than 1.6 million professionals in green careers today* which means professionals must stand out in order to compete for career advancement opportunities. It is critical to stay abreast of best practices regarding career preparation, including resume building and networking, to help position you for advancement opportunities.
In April 2011, the National Association of Environmental Professionals (NAEP) announced its educational alliance with American Public University. Our shared goal is to help prepare environmental professionals to advance in their field through career-relevant education. With this goal in mind, NAEP and American Public University leaders are collaborating on a three-part webinar series focused on career preparation.
- Preparing to Stand Out in the Environmental Field
- The Perfect Resume
- Leveraging LinkedIn to Land Your Next Job
*EBI Report 2020B, The U.S. Environmental Industry Overview, An Executive Review, December 2010, Environmental Business International, Inc.
Long-time career professionals will share tips for navigating employment and application procedures for jobs in the federal and local government, as well as private and consulting firms. With the challenging economic environment today, employers have the opportunity to be extremely meticulous when it comes to selecting the perfect candidate from a pool of applicants that can often reach the 100’s.
Topics covered include:
- Simple application enhancements to help you stand out
- Resume submission best practices
- Self-assessment questions for finding the perfect job
- Relationship building tips
- Mastering the job interview
- Demonstrating your qualifications beyond the resume and cover letter
Carol Pollio, Program Director of Environmental Science, American Public University
Gary Kelman, Manager, AFO Program, Maryland Department of the Environment
Ron Deverman, Associate Vice-President, HNTB
John Esson, President / LEED AP, Environmental Career Center
This resume-focused session brings experts to the table providing a deep dive on building the perfect resume. Viewers will hear perspectives from experienced HR and hiring managers as well as top career development experts in the industry who play active roles at the National Association of Environmental Professionals.
Speakers addressed the following:
- Understanding the different needs between the federal and private sectors
- Documenting your key accomplishments
- Highlighting your daily responsibilities
- Appropriate use of language and grammar
- Using resume builder software and keywords
- Cover letter etiquette and formatting
- Online resources for additional reference
An overview of the career services department at American Public University was provided.
Ryan Harding, Career Services Team Manager, American Public University
Carolyn Henn, Manager, APEX Companies
Dave Parker, Director of Career Development and Alumni Relations, Bren School of Environmental Science & Management
Our tech-savvy panel will cover the ins-and-outs of how job hunters and employers utilize social media and how you can leverage LinkedIn to network your way to your next job. Topics to be covered include:
- Strategies for job hunting
- Importance of networking
- Social media best practices
- Job boards and social media sites
- How social media can help or hurt your search
- Participation in associations, chapters and communities
- Virtual internships
- Managing your personal brand