Online M.Ed. in Teaching - Secondary Social Studies (Non-Licensure Concentration)
The Master of Education: Teaching - Concentration in Secondary Social Studies program is ideal if you have earned a non-education-related bachelor's degree and now wish to acquire the knowledge and credentials to teach secondary students to understand the political, geographic, economic, and social world. In this program you will:
- Develop skills necessary to assist your students to work independently and collaboratively
- Learn to create and deliver lesson segments and develop curriculum
- Investigate technology as a tool for enhancing and developing student learning in the 21st century classroom
- Discover the classroom management skills used in maintaining a positive and constructive classroom climate
- Examine the theoretical and applied aspects of learning, motivation, and human development in the educational setting
- Complete on-site observations in a secondary school location near you
All courses other than student teaching are offered online. This West Virginia state-approved master's program is aligned with West Virginia Professional Teaching Standards (WVPTS), National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS) standards, the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), and the West Virginia 21st Century standards for teaching social studies.
Important note: This program is not designed to lead to certification or licensure. We strongly encourage you to explore your state-specific requirements prior to applying here in order to make an informed decision. In addition, you may email our coordinator of certification and licensure here at SOE_LicensureCertification@apus.edu.
Program Completion Rates, Median Debt, and More
View more details regarding our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information.
American Public University System is authorized by the Washington Student Achievement Council and meets the requirements and minimum educational standards established for degree-granting institutions under the Degree-Granting Institutions Act. This authorization is subject to periodic review and authorizes American Public University System to advertise, recruit and offer field placements for specific degree programs. The Council may be contacted for a list of currently authorized programs. Authorization by the Council does not carry with it an endorsement by the Council of the institution or its programs. Any person desiring information about the requirements of the act or the applicability of those requirements to the institution may contact the Council at P.O. Box 43430, Olympia, WA 98504-3430.